Menu

Writing Instruction in CLE LA

This year, 9 yo DD is using CLE LA 100 and we both *LOVE* it. (We're also using Sentence Family, which is equally fabulous for different reasons) She's requested that we continue with CLE, so we'll be moving on to level 200 in Sept. She's a late bloomer in all things related to Language Arts, but especially writing, and I'm starting to get nervous. How does CLE LA teach writing? Is it complete or do I need to supplement? Does the instruction appeal to reluctant writers? Is there enough writing practice?

There is a separate book. I have found it to be a wonderful, helpful book. It outlines the writing process and you guide your child through a project using it. We've been very happy with CLE LA and writing.

It's the same for us. We have not felt the need to supplement, at all. Actually, CLE is the first writing that my boys have completed without griping. But, my boys are reluctant writers, and we have enjoyed not having a writing assignment every day. I love the emphasis on choosing words carefully and efficiently saying what you need to say. In level 200, there is still a lot of copywork. Between the copywork and creative writing, I've found the writing to be sufficient.

There is an appendix in the back of the TM for level 200, that gives a thorough explanation of the writing assignments, and the separate book isn't completely necessary (but it is helpful!).

Here is a list of the creative writing assignments in level 200:

I choose a topic myself

What I could or couldn't do if I lost my hearing

What I want to do when I grow up

Finishing a story

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go....

Writing about a picture of a girl standing in a corner

Writing a thank-you note

Writing about a picture of a boy who collected treasures

Writing a friendly letter

Writing a book report

Using the appendix in the back of the TM, you guide your student through five separate steps for each writing assignment.

Hope this helps.

It's the same for us. We have not felt the need to supplement, at all. Actually, CLE is the first writing that my boys have completed without griping. But, my boys are reluctant writers, and we have enjoyed not having a writing assignment every day. I love the emphasis on choosing words carefully and efficiently saying what you need to say. In level 200, there is still a lot of copywork. Between the copywork and creative writing, I've found the writing to be sufficient.

There is an appendix in the back of the TM for level 200, that gives a thorough explanation of the writing assignments, and the separate book isn't completely necessary (but it is helpful!).

Here is a list of the creative writing assignments in level 200:

I choose a topic myself

What I could or couldn't do if I lost my hearing

What I want to do when I grow up

Finishing a story

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go....

Writing about a picture of a girl standing in a corner

Writing a thank-you note

Writing about a picture of a boy who collected treasures

Writing a friendly letter

Writing a book report

Using the appendix in the back of the TM, you guide your student through five separate steps for each writing assignment.

Hope this helps.

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you! My older DD is a reluctant writer, but I don't think this will overwhelm her.

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you! My older DD is a reluctant writer, but I don't think this will overwhelm her.

No problem! Please, let me know if you have other specific questions. I have the TMs for levels 100-400 (500 is in the mail).

:001_smile: