Menu

Secular grammar for after FLL4

I went with R&S, which is SO NOT secular. I think if I had to do it again I would go with Hake. I tried doing GWG after FLL4 and it was a bomb. R&S has been a great fit and we have been able to work around the religious aspect. But, again, I sort of think I should have gone with Hake. I am not switching only because I don't like to jump my kids around if something is working.

I only use the grammar aspect of R&S, not the writing. I use WWS for writing.

Well, I currently have a 4th grader.... he's doing 4th/5th grade work. We are using Hake 5, and it is thorough. We are adding back in some MCT components though... I don't think we'd go all MCT at this point, but I want to include pieces. I would also like to incorporate Kilgallon at some point as well. But I do think Hake has been a good choice as a primary curriculum.

Okay, so after looking at all of the above, I think I like Hake the best. I really like the content of R&S, but it seems from the samples available, that there is a lot of religion in the text. Is that correct? If we were to go ahead with Hake, with an advanced 10yo who has done all 4 levels of FLL which level would you start with? It seems like there is a lot of repitition between the levels.

Thanks!

Okay, so after looking at all of the above, I think I like Hake the best. I really like the content of R&S, but it seems from the samples available, that there is a lot of religion in the text. Is that correct? If we were to go ahead with Hake, with an advanced 10yo who has done all 4 levels of FLL which level would you start with? It seems like there is a lot of repitition between the levels.

Thanks!

Yes, there is a whole lot of religion in R&S. But, there is also just a whole lot of grammar in R&S. I cannot imagine anyone actually doing an entire lesson. I find it very easy to just skip the overtly religious questions. Sometimes an entire exercise is overtly religious, but there is almost always a second (or even a third) exercise in the same lesson that will have the same goals with less religion.

We do R&S orally, exception for diagramming, and I pick and choose from the different exercises what is best for us.

But, as non-christians using R&S it can seem a little overwhelming. I sometimes worry that my kid is getting a rather skewed vision of how people incorporate christianity in their lives.

Do any of y'all with older kids like KISS and/or MCT? but that may not be the best grammar for the older ones ...

to the OP, although mine are younger, I have seen Hake rec'd frequently and also the Kilgallon books, though Kilgallon is more writing than grammar per se ...

We tried KISS a few times, but there was too much we didn't like about it.

For grammar we use a combo of MCT, Hake, Killgallon, etc.