Menu

How to teach "delicate" Scripture?

Jean in Newcastle

I am teaching the youth in our church (tweens and teens). We are going through the book of Proverbs. The next chapter is chapter 5 - on avoiding the adulterous woman and "drinking from your own cistern" and being satisfied. So. . . now what? Do I have them read the selection to themselves and then talk in generalities about marriage and protecting the virtue in marriage? Do I skip the chapter? I don't want to take the place of parents in sex education - nothing will be said that is explicit in any way. But is it ok to speak generally about this subject with young people? I wouldn't even bat an eye if a teacher discussed these things with my kids (who are also in the class) but I want to show sensitivity to other parents.

Tween might be a bit young, Jean. Teens are fine with this one. We covered this part of the Bible when I was maybe 14? 15? Tween, to me, implies 11-12. A bit young for "cisterns" and aldulterous women. JMHO.

Maybe skip it and poll the parents, then revisit if it's cool with them?

Tween might be a bit young, Jean. Teens are fine with this one. We covered this part of the Bible when I was maybe 14? 15? Tween, to me, implies 11-12. A bit young for "cisterns" and aldulterous women. JMHO.

Maybe skip it and poll the parents, then revisit if it's cool with them?

The only tween is mine. All the other kids are 14 and above.

I once had to teach a 10 week series on the 10 commandments to 1-3rd graders, taking a commandment a week. The week we came to the adultery one was tough but it was covered in a gentle and general way. i would not skip it because it would highlight this proverb even more so because it now has mystery attached to it. If you are still unsure, talk to the youth pastor or someone equivalent.

I would be completely comfortable with you talking about this with my 5th grader. The discussion does not need to be graphic for any age. If it were me, I would talk about the fact that marriage has its ups and downs. Sometimes people feel like the grass would be greener elsewhere, but it's not. I think they can relate to that. It is about being happy/satisfied with your spouse because you have made a commitment. I am not sure it needs to go any further than that. Most teens and Tweens understand what a cheating spouse is on some level without going into detail.

I would not have a problem with someone discussing this with my 14yo and I think it is a vital topic ESPECIALLY at this age when they are just venturing out into the boy-girl relationship stage and forming opinions on how relationships should look. Anything we can do to combat the Hollywood version of love is important.

14 seems like a perfect age to hear about this from Scripture and a responsible, caring adult mentor. I teach girls' youth group that is predominately home schoolers (ages 11-17) from pretty conservative homes and would not hesitate to discuss adultery in non-specific terms in the context of Proverbs. I would probably depart from my usual plan of having them read aloud to the group because of the awkwardness factor and read it myself. One thing that I found really helpful as a teen in a conservative Christian circle was when an adult could be honest and not embarrassed to talk about s*x in the proper biblical context. There are enough enough laughs, myths, jokes, mysteries, and flat out lies going around for the topic to be really confusing, even if your parents are pretty open with you like mine were. If it is skipped over too often or an obvious source of embarrassment to the adult presenting it I think this can be further mystifying.

I think you'll do a great job and should just go for it in a simple, matter-of-fact way!