Menu

Schoolroom / school area pics

Do you have china cabinet with fancy dishes in it that you never use? Clear it out, measure for some pretty baskets and put all your stuff in the baskets and shelves. On the back of a closet door, I hung our time line. When the door is shut, history is done. Only keep what you are actually using in that space. The math texts for next year can be stored in the bottom of your bedroom closet. I have a rolling cart where I keep the markers, glue sticks, colored pencils, etc. It can be rolled into the closet and the room looks pretty again. You could also put some fabric curtains in the glass windows of your china cabinet, just pick some fabric that matches your dining room colours, the bonus is that you can pin things to the fabric so that when you open the china cabinet doors you can have posters up.

You can add a wooden decorative rail (you know the kind where you can put knick-knacks and pictures?). On top of this is where you lean your dry erase board. However, the non-dry erase side is beautifully covered in fabric so that it just looks like a decorative piece of art.

Confession - we shool in our dinning room/. only table. It looks like we school here. There are books and mess everywhere. The above suggestion comes from the home of a friend w/ 8 children where it looks beautiful and you wouldn't know her kiddos are amazingly educated at home. :)

When we schooled in our eat-in kitchen we lined one wall with an 8-cube bookshelves (like an ikea expedit laid on its side). We put another one under the kitchen counter overhang where you would normally put barstools. This one held books. The other held supplies, the top shelf i added vertical binder holders, that held our curriculum. Our whiteboard slipped between the wall and the bookshelf. I had mini drawer units to hold pencils, crayons, etc. Worked well. The hardest part was keeping the table cleaned off enough to eat our meals!

We school on our dining room table now, and my kitchen is WAY too small to hold any school stuff, and my buffet holds phone books, cameras and table linens, so I really do not have a convenient spot for school stuff. So right now what I'm doing is keeping all our 'current books' in an 18 qt dishpan (so easy to carry/choose what we need)(if I had multiple children they'd each have their own 'workbucket') and then I use a hanging file system for organizing. Both of those things are stored in a nearby bedroom, and I pull out the workbucket each day, then put it back when we are done.

Ultimately we are renovating and are going to have a library/workspace downstairs.....construction should start soon. I am eager to be able to leave, say, a craft or science project out without having to clean it up when we're not quite done. But it is what it is, and for now we're at the table!!

Our dining room has never been used for it's original purpose. LOL! The day we moved in it became the computer room. It's now organized with our executive desk, 2 computers, 2 printers, laminator, paper organizer, binders labeled neatly, baskets on the shelving with items in them to keep things tidy and neat. We also have a wall unit that was donated to our family 4 years ago from a neighbor during their move. It has cubbies, drawers, and is the perfect place to put all our homeschool items. What doesn't fit there we have in banker boxes in my bedroom closet.

We use our kitchen table for school work though.

We are moving this summer and we have a room 6'x20' that's a sunroom that we're hoping to turn into our school area. I'm thrilled because it'll be OUT of the sight of others and it'll be away from the rest of the house, helping us all focus on our studies while having the sun beam in on us! PLUS we have A LOT of storage in the new house allowing me to put our books and extra items up out of sight but able to keep inventory of what all we have. I'm debating on getting a table that easily folds up, but not a card table as they just aren't sturdy enough! That way we can easily fold the table up and put it away if needed.