Menu

Should I have my kids tested for giftedness?

I know this has been discussed numerous times, and I've read many other threads. I'm just looking for some fresh opinions relating to our situation.

Kiddos have never been tested. I did give DD the Spectrum first grade tests at home when she was six, and she only missed one problem (she didn't know what a dictionary was :001_smile:). She is great at tests/memorization in general, great attention span, great handwriting, tries her best at everything... I'm sure she would score in the 99th percentile of ITBS or something similar for her grade (I always aced standardized tests as well).

DS is a different story, though he is the one who I think may test higher on a more in depth evaluation. He is not a great test taker because he doesn't sit long, doesn't care to try his best, and is more interested in getting back to his army guys or animal books.

They are both all around strong students. DD is an accelerated reader, but is also very good at math. She isn't as accelarated as she could be but she aces reviews. DS is great at math (though not writing it all out, as he gets lots of wrong answers for silly mistakes if he does it independently) and is also a strong reader.

I know the question to be asked is "Why do you want to get your kids tested?" And I'm not quite sure the answer... I guess I'm just curious. Maybe it will surprise me, maybe I'll change some of our curriculum, maybe I'll challenge them a bit less or a bit more. I don't know. I just feel like I should know for some reason.

Would you test your kids just to know? What tests/evals would be best?

In a meeting with a psychologist who does testing, she said, "You test to find out the answer to a question."

That stayed with me and helped me when I was thinking of getting testing done.

We did the CAT and ITBS at home in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades so I would have information about how my son was doing overall and so he'd get some experience with standardized testing. I used Bayside for the CAT (although they now do TerraNova - and turns out, they're my sister's in-laws. Really neat people!). I did on-level in 1st grade with the CAT. In 2nd grade, I gave my son the 3rd grade CAT. I was able to look over his answers before turning in the tests, so I was able to see where he was making errors & get feedback on my teaching. I didn't discuss his errors with him - that was just for me. I used Triangle for the ITBS (and CogAT). I gave the test on-level for 3rd grade. I switched tests so I'd see how my son did with a different test (and I wanted a more recent test).

We also did testing to qualify for talent searches: SCAT in 2nd grade for Johns Hopkins CTY material, Explore in 4th grade for Northwestern NUMATS, and he's taking the Explore again in 5th grade for Duke TIP.

Due to Explore scores, we had an IQ test done (WISC-IV) to see if he'd qualify for Davidson Young Scholars. I couldn't see getting an IQ test done for curiosity alone - we didn't have a question until it was for qualification.

At your kids ages, I'd probably go with a standardized test you can give at home or consider the SCAT for Hopkins.

Being identified as "gifted" means more than just being (possibly) able to ace tests. It also means that there could be some different social and emotional things going on with the kid. I have some information about what that might look like on my blog, but the best source of information would be the SENG website. Maybe try looking there to see if anything really resonates with you before you spend the big bucks on testing.

Good luck!

At your kids ages, I'd probably go with a standardized test you can give at home or consider the SCAT for Hopkins.

Which would you say had results that were most helpful to you as parent/educator?

Being identified as "gifted" means more than just being (possibly) able to ace tests. It also means that there could be some different social and emotional things going on with the kid. I have some information about what that might look like on my blog, but the best source of information would be the SENG website. Maybe try looking there to see if anything really resonates with you before you spend the big bucks on testing.

Good luck!

I think I've been on the site before, but I will check it out more thoroughly. I'm not expecting my kids are PG or anything, but they do learn very easily. And schools do that, right? If a child shows excellence and/or giftedness, they evaluate him/her so they can better understand how to teach. I know I consistently tested into GT programs in school and also tested to skip third grade (and my second grade teacher is the one who initiated that whole deal).

I would do an above-level ITBS with CogAT, then depending on the results of that, the EXPLORE through one of the talent searches.

My oldest DD did an individual IQ test when she was 4 1/2 because we were trying to figure out about schooling options, then the ITBS/CogAT when she was 7, and the EXPLORE when she was 8. The results of the above-level testing were similar enough to her actual IQ score to make them decent proxies.

With DS, I was planning on just doing the above-level ITBS/CogAT then the EXPLORE but we got a chance to have him tested for free as a subject in a WPPSI-IV renorming study. The results actually raised some red flags in terms of possibly being "twice exceptional". So we will most likely have a full neuropsych eval this coming year.

Youngest DD will need a full neuropsych eval because of her autism once she is verbal enough and cooperative enough to be tested.

Which would you say had results that were most helpful to you as parent?

The CogAT gave learning style info. That was of some use.

Really...all were about equally helpful in their own ways. If we'd started with IQ, that would have been overkill at the time. I'd go from cheap to more expensive ;)

Nodding here with the advice given, (which seems in-line with your thoughts too?)

I'm another who would support any testing that will show up twice exceptional issues if you suspect any.

Smart kids (and adults) are good at covering certain learning problems. Also grade appropriate standards in one who aces most stuff, in their case is probably due to a relative disability. This can cause them great frustration. (Coping tools and lables for any issues could also help in future higher learning institutions.)

I had my eldest tested (for school). It was very useful, to school and to me. She came back home soon after.

The younger had expensive testing done which gave a number but not such useful breakdown.

This was done to try unsuccessfully, to make her attend school. I did not pay for that.

I'm realising my younger displays a lesser degree of similar difficulties.

I may choose to have her tested to clearly describe just what is going on, to give us tools to work within her perametres and help her be able to max out who she is (if that makes sense).

So personally, I wouldn't do it for the number, but I do think a good test that can find and analyse any issues you may suspect can be very worthwhile.

But I would make sure that you find a physcologist whith lots of experience with gifted children. It make a differerence.

Ulitmately, go with your gut. Very scientific I know. :)

HTH

I would give the CogAT and ITBS two levels above their grade-by-age level. Then you'll want to get score reports for the ITBS for both their grade-by-age and the above level grade. So if your child's is in 3rd grade (by age) this year, you'll want to give the grade 5 ITBS and CogAT level C and have the scores for the ITBS reported against 3rd and 5th grade norms. The CogAT is reported according to age and whatever grade you're interested in (age is the most important thing).

Keep in mind that gifted kids don't necessarily do well on the CogAT (I have two of them, both HG/HG+).

If you have the funds to get testing done, I would. I had an examiner come to my home and test 2 kids using the WISC-IV and WIAT. This amazing tester specialized in giftedness and had a son who was 2E (gifted with dyslexia). That was exactly what I needed because I was concerned about possible 2E issues. In a follow-up appointment he went over the results with us, answered questions, and gave us guidance. Sounds expensive, but it was only $600 per kid and insurance covered a bit of that. It totally changed how I am educating one child and gave me direction on the other one.

I also did standardized testing (Stanford and Otis-Lenon). I will continue to do standardized testing for record keeping purposes, but I didn't find that the standardized testing gave me much information.

HTH

And schools do that, right? If a child shows excellence and/or giftedness, they evaluate him/her so they can better understand how to teach. I know I consistently tested into GT programs in school and also tested to skip third grade (and my second grade teacher is the one who initiated that whole deal).

Not in our neck of the woods. There is no funding for testing or programs. I never had a teacher mention the word gifted or suggest that my child needed more challenging work. Any requests like that came from me; when my daughter skipped a grade, it was initiated by me (although the teachers and principal were as supportive as they could be). Most teachers get no education on identifying, understanding or teaching gifted students when earning their degree, and do not understand these children's needs or how to meet them; many teachers have the same misperceptions about giftedness as the general public.

I know I can administer the ITBS at home. What about the CogAT? What levels should I start with?

I would start with one grade-level up the first time you test. Your child may still hit the ceilings on some of the subtests, but hopefully the "spread" of scores will provide useful information.