Menu

BJU physical science?

I have no experience with Apologia General Science so I don't know where you are starting from, but I have a lot of experience with BJU so I can tell you where it goes.

A student who has completed Algebra should be ready mathematically for either course. The real difference is in the content. Earth and Space is just that, the study of the earth and space. Physical Science is an introduction to Physics and Chemistry. If you plan to stick with BJU this Earth and Space course is the only course that covers those topics in their sequence. Physical Science is also the first course designated for high school, the work load and pace of the class increase quite a bit from E&S to PS.

If the Algebra course you used was not particularly strong however, I would go with the E&S first. I'm not terribly familiar with different math programs, we've always used Saxon. I teach classes using the BJU science series though and I know that many students who have completed other Algebra programs are not ready for the math in Physical Science.

So, while I can't answer the question of what's best for your child, maybe that will help a little.

BJU Physical is a high school course. With strong math skills, it works in 8th. It will be an enormous step up from Apologia General. BJU Life or Earth & Space would be a step up without being overwhelming.

I would never presume to tell a parent their child isn't ready for high school science in 7th grade, only you can really know that. However it is the rare child who is ready to take on BJU Physical that young.

It sounds likes BJU earth and space would be more appropriate. I'm assuming that apologia physical science is more appropriate for 8th grade and that BJU is more suited to 9th grade. Is BJU a better science curriculum overall? I do like that the Physical Science concentrates on Chemistry and Physics only.

Beth

I've used some of both and I would say that BJU is a significantly more rigorous curriculum. Which one is better depends on the teacher and the student.

BJU is written to be used with a teacher who is expert in the field. That only works if you are that expert, if you use their DVDs or if your student has a very high aptitude for science. Apologia is written to the student and is not teacher dependent at all. BJU is fact heavy, Apologia is explanation heavy. My experience with both says that BJU is heavier handed in their young earth narrowly focussed Christian presentation. However, I have only used Apologia for Chemistry and it might be just as heavy handed in a subject like Biology or Earth Science (which is in their Physical Science) and I just haven't experienced it.

I have a science degree and firmly held the belief that I would never use Apologia. I used it this year with ds for Chemistry and it was a good fit. He isn't strong in math and while he has always done very well in science, he isn't interested in a pure science field (maybe computers, but that isn't the same). I was much more impressed with Apologia after using it than I was with having just looked through it. For ds, it was a matter of which one would gain the most understanding, Apologia was it. I still believe I'll never use Apologia for dd who wants to go into a medical field. I still could be proven wrong though.

My 8th gr ds is using BJU Physical Science this year along with Dive CD. He used Apologia General Science last year.

So far, we have been pleased with BJU. I wish that I had used it with his older sister. DS takes Saxon Algebra I, so he has not had any trouble with the math. Letting him view a periodic table during every lesson greatly aided his understanding of the chemistry concepts.

ETA: I do not consider myself a science expert. I just make sure that I read ahead of ds. The BJU teacher's edition is especially helpful because it includes background information and teaching tips. If we still have any questions, Dive normally has the answer.

Dd used BJU Physical along with the Dive CD during her 9th grade year, which was the year she was doing Algebra. There were a few spots she needed more explanation from me, but they weren't really about math. They were more questions she tends to ask that go beyond what the book or teacher are teaching. BJU schedules their Physical Science the same year a student is doing Algebra 1, so I don't think you would have to actually complete Algebra 1 before doing it, but doing it along side is probably more important.

Just a couple quick observations. One, the Apologia GS isn't equivalent to the BJU Life Science. You could consider doing the life science, skipping whatever overlapped, and going up to the physical science in the fall for 8th. That would give him another 9 months to mature and be ready for the reading. Two, BJUPHomeschool and CBD both have extensive samples. The stuff is like the samples. Consider the density of the reading. Three, you've heard a lot of different options for how people use the text. That really affects the difficulty and what you're wading through. The BJU physical science text is pretty dense reading. Personally, from the samples I find the PH CIA (Concepts in Action) text to be easier reading. If he's a student who LIKES texts, you might consider going that way. I'm using the CIA and BJU labs this year with my dd, and I like them both. BJU puts a lot of math in the labs. CIA makes the labs more conceptual and puts the math as exercises in the text. Your ds might prefer that. Again, you can see samples online.

If he has been happy with Apologia, you might consider continuing with it and just pick up the pace.

Finally, think about labs and lab cost. We're doing ALL the labs from the BJU and CIA lab books, and our expenses are quite high. Most of the stuff will work on into high school. It's just something to think through. Some people do a streamlined list of labs or take another method (don't even do the labs, watch a dvd, whatever). It's just something to think through. Partly depends on what you already have on-hand or have access to.