Menu

Favorite iPad apps?

Parrothead

Notability -- I love it! I also have the Gmail app and the Chrome app, which are useful, as well as the Dropbox app. But Notability is making the iPad really, really useful to me -- PDFs, grocery list, scribble pad for the kids, knitting patterns. . .

Cool. I'll download it right away. Do you have a... whatchacallit do-hicky pen thing that "writes" on the touch screen? I was debating about getting one.

Cool. I'll download it right away. Do you have a... whatchacallit do-hicky pen thing that "writes" on the touch screen? I was debating about getting one.

I don't have a stylus yet, but I ordered one from amazon. I can write with my fingertip (and that's how I did my grocery list yesterday), but I think a stylus will make it much more useful. The fingertip was kind of chicken-scratchy. DD tried doing a math test that way and found it frustrating; hopefully she'll have better luck with the stylus.

I don't have a stylus yet, but I ordered one from amazon. I can write with my fingertip (and that's how I did my grocery list yesterday), but I think a stylus will make it much more useful. The fingertip was kind of chicken-scratchy. DD tried doing a math test that way and found it frustrating; hopefully she'll have better luck with the stylus.

Thank for saying it multiple times. I had a total brain freeze.

These are some of my favorites for 'productivity'

Dropbox

Notability

Evernote

Notes Plus

Dragon Dictation

Paper by 53

Dictionary.com

File App Pro

Wordflex

App Advisor -- tells you when apps go on sale or are free

iStudiez

Weather+

Calculator HD

Wikipanion

iBooks

Google Earth

iPhoto, PS Express, Snapseed, PhotoForge (photography apps, if you want pix on your iPad)

Pandora, Downcast, Kindle etc (if you are listening to radio, podcasts, reading books, etc)

Netflix, Amazon Instant Video (many TV stations also have their own apps)

For news

Flipboard

Instapaper

Slate

Huffington Post

NPR

Salon

Life (pix archive from the magazine)

Education

BrainPOP

Quizlet

Wolfram Alpha

Algebra Touch

Quick Graph

The Elements

Sky Safari

Solar Walk

Star Walk

Move the Turtle (programming)

Music & Art

Sketchbook Express

Sumo Paint

Magic Piano

Apps on individual artists -- I like the ones by Mokoo

The Orchestra

I have over 200 apps -- how did that happen???? Our iPad is a family iPad, so there are lots of games too. At first, I vowed to have no games, but they are just so much fun....

I returned to this thread to copy the lists of apps so I can look them up later, but I also wanted to say that while Gutenberg has lots of free books, iTunes made it even easier to add a bunch of free books to my iPad, so if you're like me and new to exploring all the joys of the iPad, spend some time browsing free stuff on iTunes. :)

Book Creator. You can use your photos and write stuff and make iBooks (yes, you want iBook, too) and even add hot spots where you add sound (I made books about our trip to D'Land for my son with autism and used the hot spots to record myself reading each page to him). I love Book Creator!

Drop Box is useful, too.