Menu

Beast Academy--what does a child need to know before starting?

maize

My older dd has done really well with Math Mammoth, but it has not been a good fit for ds7. We've tried Singapore, which isn't much better for him. I have the first two BA books and I have a hunch they would be perfect for him--but he's only been working in MM2A. He has good math and problem solving sense, but is allergic to workbook pages and also hates me trying to teach him.

He works best independently with something interesting.

I really, really want to just transition him to BA, but I know there are skills he still needs (addition and subtraction with regrouping primarily). I'm thinking of starting him on BA 3A, then just working on the side on those skills. Is there anything else he really needs? He has a good understanding of place value, and does mental addition, subtraction and some multiplication. I wish the 2nd grade level of BA were out...

According to the company (I asked them in an email), your child needs to know basic math such found in a K and 1st grade book plus know how to add/subtract multi digit numbers with renaming and carrying.

We have been working through BA slowly and together because dd is not a strong math person. Even though I hand hold her though the book she is learning the logic and enjoying it. Don't feel you need an advanced math student for these books, just be willing to work along side your child and talk through the problems.

I'd work him through multi-digit addition and subtraction with renaming for sure.

Have you considered Miquon or a math lab approach for the next little bit to prep him for Beast?

I have tried Miquon, he wasn't impressed although my five year old loves it and is always begging to do more math (I don't prioritize math at that age so she really only gets it because she wants it). We have tons of manipulatives and games, occasionally I can get ds7 interested. He's just really, really resistant to outside direction. Now, when the internal motivation kicks in, he does amazing things. I think it would kick in with BA (he has already read the guide books for 3A and 3B multiple times). I think I'm going to let him go ahead and start that, I think he will be just fine with the concepts presented in 3A. Then I will work on the other skills on the side. Maybe I can come up with some kind of incentive plan for him...

They really need to be comfortable with large numbers and re-grouping. It is definitely a 3rd grade curriculum, not below. You could probably do the first chapter of 3A without those concepts since it is so different, but after that I would recommend putting BA aside and working through MM 2. Otherwise kids just won't be successful by the time you hit the skip counting and multiplication chapters. The student is multiplying HUGE numbers (5-6 digits) in that chapter, not just typical one digit numbers. BA seems simple because they are doing multiplication in a 3rd grade curriculum, but each topic goes way in depth.

I have not used MM, so I can't comment on how that fits with BA, but my dd is using BA and loving it - even though she was shaky (due to lack of practice, not lack of understanding) on adding and subtracting with regrouping. She understands the concepts, but can't do it fluently (ie quickly and without errors) Our compromise is that she does BA for her main math, but also does a sheet I print every week of addition and subtraction practice. I give her about 20-25 problems and let her have the whole week to complete it (this might be too much independence for a 7 year old or might not be). This gives her the practice on the basic work while challenging her with the concepts in BA. Also, many of the chapters in BA 3A and 3B use large multi-digit numbers (in the perimeter and area chapter especially) It is possible that having your son try this might motivate him to learn the basic math so he is not frustrated with errors in computation. Or you could combine it with MM or something else to teach the computation skills he doesn't have yet. Sometimes kids who are good at math need the motivation of "where will I ever really use this" demonstrated so they are willing to do the basic, boring stuff.