Menu

Fallacy Detective--what age?

Jane

I'm using this with my rising 7th grader. I plan to do a lesson each week. That is if I can keep it away from him. I did fend him off with two level C Mind bender books.

Right now, DH is reading through it and is very impressed. DH is on lesson 5.:D

The book itself says for ages 13 up.

My own experience with my two kids is that at ages 11 and 12 they were perfectly capable of understanding these two books, and we did them orally together.....BUT, they would have got more out of them if they were older and I intend to go through them again when they are 13/14 or even older. The content, and the discussions evoked, will have another whole depth entirely if the kids are more aware of the world and engaged with more mature issues, I think.

will be reading The Thinking Toolbox in the fall and he *might* start Fallacy Detective in the spring.

Maybe I had a complete misunderstanding and that could be as I just realized I assumed something. . .

The Thinking Toolbox came out after the Fallacy Detective, so I assumed that it was a follow on book (part 2)?

Based on what you wrote this is not necessarily true. (?) (Note to self: If I find time today, I need to look that up just for my own information.)

My eldest son did FD in 9th grade, 1 lesson a week (orally with me). I plan to use it this year with DS2 (he'll be in 8th).

No, they actually recommend that The Thinking Toolbox be done first, although it is a flexible sequence.

We did both this past year for 6th grade, and I definitely think TT before FD is the way to go. Doing two lessons a week (at two days each) worked out really well. This is for my oldest dd, who is very mature. I may wait with next dd until 7th grade, as she is not overly mature. I think in general either 7th or 8th grade would be fine.