Menu

Reasons NOT to use Lial's algebra? And is it independant?

Are there any? I have read the reviews here till my eyes felt like they were bleeding and can't find any but there HAS to be something, right?

Also, the kid I'm planning this for will not be able to get help from me, has anyone found that to be a problem, such as lack of explanations?

This dd will be at least 14 before she starts this.

As you are probably aware, Lial's Algebra is a consumable workbook that was written as a remedial text for adults. Whether the text is Lial's or another, many students hit a wall in Algebra after a few chapters and will require assistance. Be prepared to lend a hand or hire a tutor if that is the case.

Some students can learn mathematics independently but I fear that they are a minority.

I think Kinetic Books would be better for independent use. She'll get immediate feedback after most of the problems and there is stepped help available for most of the immediate feedback problems.

There isn't a solution manual, so if she can't figure out how to get the answers to the odd end-of-unit problems, then you'll need somebody to help her. An answer key is provided, but only for the odds.

Some folks don't do the end-of-unit problems at all.

The online InterAct software, particularly the "help me solve it" feature may be helpful.

This is the free version of MyMathLab and so doesn't save work. But the practice can be good.

Don't have link handy, but maybe someone else will post it...or a search should provide it...

I think there are two negatives about Lials.

First, it is written to adults. The word problems can be hard to relate to for teens, although that is probably minimized by your child being 14.

The second is the page layout, the pages are large, cluttered, and can have a hundred problems on a spread. I have one child for whom this makes the books a complete impossibility.

The instruction in the book and many examples are the strength of the series IMO. There are no guarantees that any 14 yo will make it through algebra without help though, even with great instructions. Sometimes a teacher is still critical.

I'm in the "there is no math program that is independent" group. There will probably be a point where the student will need someone to consult. Lial's main downfall, imho, is that the word problems are too "old". The lessons are also a bit long for a high school student and cover too much information at one time. To use it for high school, you would be spreading one lesson over two days. I prefer to have the lessons further broken down/one per day. I also prefer a bit of review each lesson/day. Lial's has a review at the end of each chapter. If you do use Lial's, make sure you also purchase the Student Solutions Manual. It has the odd problems worked out step by step and is invaluable when you hit a snag! However, I strongly recommend you working through the text yourself (no matter what publisher you choose) so that you can be there to assist if there are questions...because there probably will be. Or, choose a book that has the option of phoning in for help if the student cannot figure out a topic or problem.