Menu

Two iPad questions

happypamama

One, what's the best way to watch DVDs on an iPad? (It looks like I need to get a converter program for my desktop -- which one?)

Two, the iPad is equipped with cell capability, Verizon, I think, but we don't have (and don't want) a data cell plan, so we'll just use it with WiFi. Is there a way to get a data plan that is not in any way connected to our regular cell plan, like a pay as you go plan, that we could use only for emergencies (like if we got really lost and needed the iPad's GPS feature) or for when we travel on vacation or the like?

You cannot watch DVDs on the ipad, you would have to rip them to digital. Here is article explaining how:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1153361/optimize_idevice_video.html

Editing to clarify: the iPad has no DVD or CD drive. You would need a special drive and a converter program. It is easier to rip them, IMO. By the time you add a drive, you'd be better off with a mini tv/DVD combo, .

The iPads with wi-if only are cheaper than those that can access cell signal.

ETA: you can stream video through services like Hulu or Netflix.

You cannot watch DVDs on the ipad, you would have to rip them to digital. Here is article explaining how:

http://www.macworld....vice_video.html

Editing to clarify: the iPad has no DVD or CD drive. You would need a special drive and a converter program. It is easier to rip them, IMO. By the time you add a drive, you'd be better off with a mini tv/DVD combo, .

Not necessarily. There are some relatively inexpensive portable WiFi hard/flash drives on the market, like the AirStash ($140ish plus SC card(s)) or the SeaGate GoFlex Satellite ($200ish but 500GB built-in). The DVDs still have to be ripped, but the AirStash offers greater flexibility when traveling because you don't kneed to take a pile of DVDs.

We use our cellular on the iPad exactly how you describe- only when we are going on vacation and/or traveling and want the cellular capabilities. The rest of the time we use wifi.

Verizon has a $20 pay-as-you-go monthly option. You pay to activate it and it automatically cancels after 30 days. It will not automatically renew a pay-as-you go account. One tip: activate before you leave, as you will need wifi to activate your cellular (lesson learned when we travelled remote and couldn't get the cellular to work because we didn't have wifi to activate it).

I use WinxDvd ripper, their $40 version so I can rip all my DVDs including Disney, newest, etc to my PCs hard drive. Then using iTunes I choose which movies I want on my iPad at any given time. I tried a couple of different free DVD rippers but could never find one that would rip all my movies.

I don't know if works on a Mac.