Menu

any great dessert recipes (to feed ~ 30)?

any ideas?

I am charge of our church group's weekly dessert!

I made a great chocolate cake with white icing last week...but now I have to think of some new ideas! I almost never bake or cook for that many people!

What can I make for a group that big?

ideas? recipes?

anything delicious you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated - I'll make a list!!

:thumbup:

Mmmmm. . . . .my daughter makes a killer Oreo Ice Cream dessert - if you doubled it, it would feed about 30. It's easy and SOOOO delicious!

She's at ballet now - but pm me and I'll send you the recipe when she gets home.

Ingredients are: mint oreos, hot fudge sauce, mint choc chip ice cream, and whipped cream. I think that's it! I just can't remember exactly how to layer them. . . . .

There are so many thing you could do! A tray of brownies and cookies....2 big cobblers...banana pudding...several different pies, custard, fruit...3 bundt cakes, lots of recipes on allrecipes.com easy...ooey gooey butter cakes, delish and easy...peanut butter ice cream pie is very easy and delish...What are you looking for?

DIRT CAKE

1 large package Oreos

1/4 c melted butter or margarine

8 oz cream cheese

½ c powdered (confectioner’s) sugar

2 small packages instant vanilla pudding

3 cups milk

8 oz Cool Whip

Crush Oreos (or put in food processor and crumble). Mix 2/3 of the crumbs with melted butter. Press in bottom of 9 X 12 pan.

Cream cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add pudding mixes, then milk. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour on top of crumbled Oreos layer. Top with remaining Oreo crumbs. Chill and serve. (This can be made ahead and kept in the freezer until time to serve. Just pull out about 30-45 minutes before serving).

You can also make this in a pie plate. I like to bake the crust for 8 minutes, let cool, then fill and top. Makes two pies. (This can also be stored in the freezer until needed.)

To serve 30 people, I would probably double the recipe.

I make lunch for about 15 people twice a week- these are three of my regular desserts.

BAKED YOGURT PUDDING

1 cup yogurt

1 cup of tinned sweet condensed milk

1/4 cup raisins

1 teasp. vanilla essence

Method:

1. Beat together all ingredients.

2. Pour batter into a 6-inch, greased baking dish.

3. Bake 45 minutes in a moderate oven until firm.

4. Serve when cool.

* Yields 2 cups

Kheer

1/2 cup Rice (basmati)

4 cups Milk

1/4 cup Raisins

1 cup Sugar

1 tsp Cardamom (or nutmeg)

1/4 cup Almonds (shredded, blanched)

A few strands of saffron

Methods:

1. Wash rice well.
  2. Boil milk and add rice. Simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
  3. When the rice is cooked and the mixture gets a semi-thick creamy consistency, add sugar and stir well.
  4. Remove from heat and add cardamom, saffron,shredded almonds, and raisins.
  5. Serve warm or chilled.

Halva

6-8 serves

2 ¾ cups water

1 ¼ cup sugar

140gms unsalted butter

1 ¼ cups course semolina (fine is fine)

1/3 cup slivered almonds

1/3 cup sultanas

1 tsp ground cardamom

(1/2 tsp saffron strands soaked in 1tbs hot milk is optional)

1.Combine water, sugar, (saffron) in saucepan- stir, dissolve on medium heat

2.Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan. Add semolina, stir fry gently for 10-20 mins until golden/tan. Add flaked almonds

3.Raise heat under syrup, add sultanas and cardamom. Pour syrup into semolina, stirring steadily.

4.Stir for a few minutes untit it thickens. Put on a tight fitting lid and let sit on low heat for 5 minutes, and turn off- or just turn off and sit another 5 minutes.

5.Serve alone, with cream/custard/icecream.