Menu

History in workbook format?

mo2

Steck-Vaughn used to publish some workbook type history books, I don't know if they still do. The ones we used when I was teaching were written at pretty low level for remedial students. An average 10 yr old could totally have handled it.

Galore Park Jr History is probably a bit young and the SYRWL History is very UK centered...

Critical thinking company has a few workbooks, but not a full program.

Maybe K12 or something online?

You might consider using a school textbook that comes with a workbook. Look at the major publishers - Glencoe, Holt, Prentice Hall, Mcdougal, Harcourt, Longman, Houghton Mifflin, Scott Foresman,.. I can't think of any others. You could assign a chapter from the book and then activities from the workbook...

Or you could do SOTW or OUP or Hakim's Story of US and use the test bank questions or student activity guide as a workbook.

Good luck!

Starline Press was what I was going to recommend. Also, you can print out your own workbooks from Connect the Thoughts. Also, you might just check out the Power Basics series from Walch, which is actually high school level but 4-5th grade reading level and having looked at it the average 10 year old could probably work with it well if they had an interest in history.

Take a look at Starline Press for Social Studies or AGS. I haven't seen these in person but it sounds like they might fit your needs. Another option might be the Story of Western Civilization and Story of the USAworkbooks. These are used in the Sonlight program but can be used separately.

Thank you for all the links. I had looked at the Story of the USA and Western Civ before but forgotten about them. I will definitely check out Starline Press too.

They've just come out with workbooks to go along with Child's History of the World. It involves readings in the book itself, a workbook, and a teacher's manual, for not a terrible price.

Haven't seen the workbook or TM but we read through the book; it's definitely - um - sweeping. :-)

Not for everybody, but it does give a quick & concise overview of many of the highlights: people, places and ideas.

The workbook looks very straightforward, with additional enrichment ideas in the TM.

It's from Calvert, but Rainbow has all the materials.

They've just come out with workbooks to go along with Child's History of the World. It involves readings in the book itself, a workbook, and a teacher's manual, for not a terrible price.

Haven't seen the workbook or TM but we read through the book; it's definitely - um - sweeping. :-)

Not for everybody, but it does give a quick & concise overview of many of the highlights: people, places and ideas.

The workbook looks very straightforward, with additional enrichment ideas in the TM.

Would you consider CHOW to be secular?

Would you consider CHOW to be secular?

People argue over that.. LOL It was written 100 years ago and as such has some interesting ideas... Threads here have discussed the changes that have been made in recent revisions but bottom line is that Calvert is a secular school and yes, it is a secular book (acceptable to public schools in WA state).

HTH

Thanks for the heads up Jay3fer.. Off to look...

Take a look at Starline Press for Social Studies or AGS. I haven't seen these in person but it sounds like they might fit your needs. Another option might be the Story of Western Civilization and Story of the USAworkbooks. These are used in the Sonlight program but can be used separately.

We use Story of Western Civilization (we're on book 1, probably about halfway through) and so far I really enjoy it. I especially enjoy that it forces DD to actually use a dictionary!

The EPS School Specialty Publishing history workbooks (Story of Western Civ, Story of USA) workbook series are very nice. They cover the high points of history, which is all that works for us right now. The questions force DS1 to look back in the text for the answers, which is a great skill for him to practice. The illustrations are also nice. These workbooks are the first thing that has worked for him to make any progress in the history area.

Would you do the Story of Western Civ or Story of USA first?

I wanted to do history in chronological order, so we started with Western Civ. We are working through the Western Civ books and once we reach the age of exploration, he will start in the USA series too.

These workbooks cover history so nicely that I plan to keep them as high-points references even after they are completed.

I'm thinking about leaving SOTW for a bit and starting some in depth Am Hist with my oldest. Would you consider the EPS Sory of USA workbooks to be a good supplemental series along with reading Hakim's History of US?

Could the Western Civ work with SOTW? I'm finding the read and narrate approach just does nothing for my oldest in regards to retaining any info at all. As much as I get bored with workbooks, they really seem to be the way he learns best.

Could the Western Civ work with SOTW? I'm finding the read and narrate approach just does nothing for my oldest in regards to retaining any info at all. As much as I get bored with workbooks, they really seem to be the way he learns best.

We do SOTW audio books in the car for DD7 and DD5 and DD7 does the EPS Story of Western Civilization wbs.

Could you tell me what your routine is with the EPS Western Civ books, anyone? How do you use them? What's a typical lesson/day like? I looked for a sample and couldn't find one anywhere.

I haven't used them, but I found that ChristianBook.com sells them. Here is a link to the first volume. Just click on additional views to see sample pages. IMO, they look good for younger kids, but not "enough" for a 10 year old, but you'll have to decide that for your own DC, of course.

Could you tell me what your routine is with the EPS Western Civ books, anyone? How do you use them? What's a typical lesson/day like? I looked for a sample and couldn't find one anywhere.

With the Western Civilization books, each chapter starts by having the kids use a dictionary to define maybe 5-6 vocab words. Then there's 2 pages or so of text followed by 2-3 pages of T/F, MC, fill in the blank, short answer questions. The very last section was clearly designed for classroom use as it tells the students to discuss various things with their classmates (we skip this). I have DD do the dictionary/vocab section on 1 day and the reading/questions (skipping the last classroom section) on another day. She probably does 1 chapter each week. The books are short (maybe 15 chapters) so wouldn't last an entire year if this was your main curriculum, but we use it in conjunction with SOTW CDs and library books. We've actually lagged it unintentionally (i.e., we're on SOTW2 but DD is in the middle of the 1st Western Civ book), so it kind of acts as a slight review.

Oh, and I don't think the USA books have the dictionary/definition section if I recall correctly, but don't take my word on that.

I haven't used them, but I found that ChristianBook.com sells them. Here is a link to the first volume. Just click on additional views to see sample pages. IMO, they look good for younger kids, but not "enough" for a 10 year old, but you'll have to decide that for your own DC, of course.

For our son, whose capacity for written work is limited, they are enough written work for one subject. But if you want to expand on what is covered in each chapter, that's easy to do - I use SOTW, or the Usborne history encyclopedia, or Brainpop.

>TarynB, on 27 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

>I haven't used them, but I found that ChristianBook.com sells them. Here is a link to the first volume. Just click on additional views to see sample pages. IMO, they look good for younger kids, but not "enough" for a 10 year old, but you'll have to decide that for your own DC, of course.

laundrycrisis, on 28 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

For our son, whose capacity for written work is limited, they are enough written work for one subject. But if you want to expand on what is covered in each chapter, that's easy to do - I use SOTW, or the Usborne history encyclopedia, or Brainpop.

I agree, it would be easy to expand. I was just speaking to the fact that the OP asked for "a complete secular history program that includes workbooks" for a 10yo. I took that to mean OP is not interested in or able to juggle multiple resources. My apologies if I offended. :001_smile:

I would like to point out that these workbooks are published by EPS School Specialty Publishing, under the heading "Literacy and Intervention", "Comprehension". They are reading comprehension practice workbooks for grades 4-8, but the written language is meant to fit the "targeted intervention" students, who are in need of significant help with written language skills:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/rti/

Here are links to the workbooks on the publisher's website:

http://eps.schoolspe...fm?series=1495M

http://eps.schoolspe...fm?series=1631M

I am not knocking the content at all, and I think these are great workbooks. That said, they are also a perfect fit for my kid who is a 4th grader with written language challenges. Reading page after page of SOTW, or a normal history textbook, or answering essay questions or writing a short report on a history topic is not going to work for him for a while yet - so these workbooks fit him perfectly. The reading is limited, but the content is perfect. It does demand some writing of him, but it's at his level, so I'm not having to modify the assignments for him. However, if he was at a level to do more, or more in-depth, reading, and writing, I probably wouldn't feel these workbooks were "enough". But for someone who needs to cover history in a quick and efficient way, or who needs to be able to assign some history work that is a little bit of a stretch for a child with challenges, but that the child can still do independently, it fits the bill perfectly.

After he has gone all the way through these workbooks and can manage short reports, I am hoping to repeat the history cycle with SOTW materials. SOTW is much more wordy and detailed than these workbooks. For our son, those will be middle school level lessons. (I realize that this may sound lame by WTM-community standards, but this child has challenges, and frankly, reading all of the SOTW books alone is more history education than I ever received in high school and college combined. So if his middle school history is a combination of SOTW and Hakim, I'll call it good.)

I would like to point out that these workbooks are published by EPS School Specialty Publishing, under the heading "Literacy and Intervention", "Comprehension". They are reading comprehension practice workbooks for grades 4-8, but the written language is meant to fit the "targeted intervention" students, who are in need of significant help with written language skills

Interesting, I had no idea. I think I just stumbled across them on CBD's website one evening. Their purpose does make sense, as the readings are quite short. But that's pretty much what I want right now, a way to cement what DD is hearing in SOTW, trying to approach the content from a variety of angles.

I would like to point out that these workbooks are published by EPS School Specialty Publishing, under the heading "Literacy and Intervention", "Comprehension". They are reading comprehension practice workbooks for grades 4-8, but the written language is meant to fit the "targeted intervention" students, who are in need of significant help with written language skills:

I am not knocking the content at all, and I think these are great workbooks. That said, they are also a perfect fit for my kid who is a 4th grader with written language challenges. Reading page after page of SOTW, or a normal history textbook, or answering essay questions or writing a short report on a history topic is not going to work for him for a while yet - so these workbooks fit him perfectly. The reading is limited, but the content is perfect. It does demand some writing of him, but it's at his level, so I'm not having to modify the assignments for him. However, if he was at a level to do more, or more in-depth, reading, and writing, I probably wouldn't feel these workbooks were "enough". But for someone who needs to cover history in a quick and efficient way, or who needs to be able to assign some history work that is a little bit of a stretch for a child with challenges, but that the child can still do independently, it fits the bill perfectly.

After he has gone all the way through these workbooks and can manage short reports, I am hoping to repeat the history cycle with SOTW materials. SOTW is much more wordy and detailed than these workbooks. For our son, those will be middle school level lessons. (I realize that this may sound lame by WTM-community standards, but this child has challenges, and frankly, reading all of the SOTW books alone is more history education than I ever received in high school and college combined. So if his middle school history is a combination of SOTW and Hakim, I'll call it good.)

Pretty much what I wanted to know. These might be helpful supplements to our history after all. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. My 10yo does not do well with large amounts of reading or writing, so these may fit.