Menu

Fleas. Uggh.

Chris in VA

So the last round of spot-treatment was probably a dud, because it's always been super-effective against fleas on both the cat and the dog, but we have fleas now.

I want to run screaming from the house. I can't seem to get them ALL.

I've washed bedding (including dog bedding), sprayed the house (we only have one rug, all the rest is wood floor, but we sprayed that, too), and sprayed the cat and dog, and STILL have them. I saw one hopping on the couch in the basement, and now I'm itchy.

Any ideas? We used to flea bomb in FL, but have never needed to here.

I've heard Borax on carpets, let sit overnight (not near pets), and vac in the morning. Wash all bedding with Borax, too.

Allegedly blue dawn kills fleas too. Maybe that would work on the non-carpet areas.

Not sure that helps and definitely double check with the University of Google. :-) Good luck!!!

I've heard Borax on carpets, let sit overnight (not near pets), and vac in the morning. Wash all bedding with Borax, too.

Allegedly blue dawn kills fleas too. Maybe that would work on the non-carpet areas.

Not sure that helps and definitely double check with the University of Google. :-) Good luck!!!

A couple of years ago we had fleas in our basement, brought in by a cat. We treated the cat and I liberally sprinkled Borax all over the carpets and vacuumed later. That did the trick. It was not a major infestation, though. I think we nipped it before it got very far.

Borax on carpets and couches, then vacuum and toss the bag, into outside trash.

We moved into a place with an infestation (pets didn't get them- they had frontline!) and the landlord had it sprayed. Didn't work. I used the borax every night for a week (vacuum bags are pricey, that's a downer) and they were gone.

Fleas suck!

So the last round of spot-treatment was probably a dud, because it's always been super-effective against fleas on both the cat and the dog, but we have fleas now.

I want to run screaming from the house. I can't seem to get them ALL.

I've washed bedding (including dog bedding), sprayed the house (we only have one rug, all the rest is wood floor, but we sprayed that, too), and sprayed the cat and dog, and STILL have them. I saw one hopping on the couch in the basement, and now I'm itchy.

Any ideas? We used to flea bomb in FL, but have never needed to here.

I'm not so sure about it being a dud. I think the fleas are becoming resistant :thumbdown: . We've had more trouble with fleas this year, over any other, and we've always had good luck with the spot treatments, too.