Menu

Calling Well Trained Cooks - Attempting Figgy Pudding. What is superfine sugar?

aggieamy

DD has been wanting me to make Figgy Pudding for sometime and tonight is the night I attempt it. The recipe calls for two items that I'm not familar with. It calls for superfine sugar - what is this? Can I use white sugar?

It also calls for self-rising flour. Can I use all-purpose?

You can use regular sugar, but the texture may be off. If you can't just go buy some superfine (they have it at the grocery) then you should food process your sugar if possible to make it more like superfine.

You can also use all-purpose flour and add baking powder to it. However, again, a recipe calling for self-rising flour may want it not only for the baking powder, but because many self-rising flours are finer, so it may effect the texture somewhat.

superfine is sugar that is just that... super fine. I've had a recipe I've used for about 5 yrs that uses superfine sugar. I had no problem finding it in the baking aisle of my reg. grocery store... until this year. I couldn't find it *anywhere*.

I discovered that I can make my own. I can't remember the exchange but you basically take reg. sugar and whirr it in a food processor or blender. Look it up on google.

You use superfine in a recipe that wants to ensure that all the granduals are dissolved. It really does make a difference in the overall taste (or feel rather). It won't be gritty.

You can substitute all-purpose with self-rising but you have to add baking powder or soda (also can't remember what). Self-rising flour has one of those added already. Again...google substitutions

Good luck and enjoy!

The figgy pudding was better than I expected. We all enjoyed it but it probably want be something I make more than once a year. At one point I had my friend come in and smell the batter and we both decided that plan B was going out for ice cream. Luckily it smelled better cooked.

(Ellie - your recipe looks a lot more complicated than mine. What's the consistency of it? The recipe I made was muffin like.)

Here's the recipe I made yesterday:

Figgy Pudding

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups chopped dried pitted dates

1/2 cup chopped dried figs

2 cups water

1 teaspoon baking soda

100 grams (3 1/2 ounces or 7 tablespoons) butter, softened

1 cup superfine sugar

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

75 grams (2 1/2-ounces) dark chocolate, grated

Butter, for coating ramekins

Ice cream or whipped cream, for garnish

Sauce:

2 cups brown sugar

2 cups heavy cream

200 grams (7-ounces or 14 tablespoons) butter

Fresh figs, quartered, for garnish

Vanilla ice cream, optional

Whipped heavy cream, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Add the dates, dried figs and water to a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then add to a blender and puree.

Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs and beat well. Fold in the flour, the pureed date mixture and the chocolate.

Put the mixture into 4 buttered, 1-cup individual ramekins, filling halfway or slightly under. Put in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Prepare the sauce by stirring the sugar, cream and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Simmer until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until incorporated.

Remove the ramekins from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. May be served in the ramekin or unmolded onto a small serving plate. With paring knife cut a cross in the top of the puddings for the sauce.

Pour the sauce into the cross in the center of each pudding, then pour more sauce over the puddings and it allow to soak in slightly. Top with fresh figs and vanilla ice cream or heavily whipped cream. Serve warm.