Menu

Another PC/Mac ??

Jess4879

Do Mac's have the same amount of updates as PC's? I am sooooo sick of all the Windows updates. They drive me insane. Especially since I pay for internet based on my usage and downloading gazillions of MB's in updates is frustrating -- and expensive!

And has anyone ever run into problems with homeschool curriculum that is web-based and/or downloadable not being Mac compatible?

The most updates you may have is when you first turn your mac on. After that, they are very few and far between. Maybe one a month, if that. Depends on how many programs you put on it. I've never had any problem with anything not being compatible. I know TOG is, because I have it. Have downloaded all kinds of other random things over the years too.

Edited to explain, the updates I was talking about when you first turn it on - by that, I mean the first time you turn it on out of the box and set it up. Then there will be whatever updates have come since it was programmed and boxed.

Few updates--less than once a month...

I have a few programs that I use/need that are not Mac compatible... easy solution. I partitioned off part of my Mac and I use a program called VMware Fusion to boot up Windows when needed. There are several similar programs out there. I turn 'off' the Windows partition when I'm not using it. I do get those annoying Windows updates on that side-- more than one per week lately! My Windows partition does not run as fast as if it were a dedicated computer--but it is great for what I use it for (my worksheet generating programs).

My oldest dd also has a Mac-- she uses something called 'Boot Camp' to run her partitioned side for a few Windows based games she plays online.

I've done two Operating System upgrades since I got this Mac. The updates are pretty few and far between.

We returned a Windows 8 laptop for DH's work that crashed twice due to hanging up on Windows updates. Apparently there was a driver conflict but I refuse to uninstall said drivers every day so Windows can install yet another update. We returned it and got him a Windows 7 and while it does update a lot - at least it's not rendering the laptops expensive paperweights.

I've done two Operating System upgrades since I got this Mac. The updates are pretty few and far between.

We returned a Windows 8 laptop for DH's work that crashed twice due to hanging up on Windows updates. Apparently there was a driver conflict but I refuse to uninstall said drivers every day so Windows can install yet another update. We returned it and got him a Windows 7 and while it does update a lot - at least it's not rendering the laptops expensive paperweights.

This is another pet peeve of mine regarding PC's -- Microsoft changing the OS almost every year, it seems! And if you don't get a new system, evenutally the old ones won't accept the updates and then you are forced to upgrade and then all the old programs/games/etc you purchased aren't designed for the new system and you are back at square one. Can you tell I am bitter?? LOL

This is another pet peeve of mine regarding PC's -- Microsoft changing the OS almost every year, it seems! And if you don't get a new system, evenutally the old ones won't accept the updates and then you are forced to upgrade and then all the old programs/games/etc you purchased aren't designed for the new system and you are back at square one. Can you tell I am bitter?? LOL

Drove me nuts. A lot of DH's programs run only on XP (voltage drop calculators). I could figure out how to run them on Windows 7 but not with Windows 8. Windows Updates killed an older laptop I had with Vista on it. :(

Yeah, I love my Macs.