Menu

Any suggestions for addition and subtraction remediation?

My ds12 has just been re-tested for the 3Rs by an educational psychologist, after our first year of homeschooling. He has made some promising improvements in nearly all areas, except his addition and subtraction are still about 1.6 years behind his age level (while multiplication and geometry are 'above average'). We started MUS at Alpha (the first unit; addition) at the beginning of the year, and he is now 2/3 of the way through the 4th unit; Delta, which is the division unit. Despite starting at the beginning of MUS - Alpha and Beta (addition and subtraction) - the report suggests he needs more help with + and -.

I'm not sure what else to do, other than get a remedial tutor or send him to Kumon (which he would most likely be unhappy about). Or will these deficits just catch up naturally as time goes on?

What I think happened was that while he was at school in the lower grades he didn't learn the basics very well, since he has ASD and the associated problems were interfering with his learning at the time.

Any suggestions?

The addition and subtraction timez attack is new this year. At least I think it is this year. It is fast, so be warned that there might be substantial frustration at the beginning. Nothing 'bad' happens if you miss a question, it just move very quickly.

I don't know if 'key to' has addition and subtraction, but it might help.

My older son was VERY slow to memorize his multiplication problems. He understood the theory just fine, but learning the facts almost killed us. It was a combo of Timez Attack and Kumon workbooks that did the trick. When he did finally start memorizing it went very quickly. I hope that it is the same for your son.

I would go with the Math Mammoth "blue" single-topic worktexts. They are ungraded, which makes them a good choice for remediation. I would go with the 2A & 2B books to start out with and then if necessary the 3 & 4. The Right Start abacus is also a fantastic resource for teaching addition & subtraction, so you may want to consider getting the tutorial program Activities for the AL Abacus.

btw we also did dice games for addition facts - most simple one that the boys actually liked - i got 2 10-sided dice and we would take turns rolling them and stating the problem (7 plus 5 is 12) - if you get it wrong you get help, no biggie - and whoever gets the highest score that round wins that round . . . and gets a tally mark. So simple but we could easily play 20 minutes twice a week and enjoy it.

btw we also did dice games for addition facts - most simple one that the boys actually liked - i got 2 10-sided dice and we would take turns rolling them and stating the problem (7 plus 5 is 12) - if you get it wrong you get help, no biggie - and whoever gets the highest score that round wins that round . . . and gets a tally mark. So simple but we could easily play 20 minutes twice a week and enjoy it.

:iagree: I used games. Phase 10 had the most effect. Dd also loved (and still does) all Learning Resources games. At your ds's age, I would have fun and play all the dice and card math games you can!

I love the Let's Play Math site. So many fabulous ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

:iagree: I used games. Phase 10 had the most effect. Dd also loved (and still does) all Learning Resources games. At your ds's age, I would have fun and play all the dice and card math games you can!

I love the Let's Play Math site. So many fabulous ideas!

This is what we did with our dd1 when we pulled her from ps in the 2nd grade. She was not doing well with her add/ subtraction so we made number games a part of our family night and we incorporated it into her lessons. She loves Phase 10 and a card matching game.

We didn't want to turn her away with a lot of "extra work" so making it a game helped in our case.