Menu

Does anyone have their old schoolwork?

LNC

My mom saved all my desk papers and filing cabinet contents. I have every scrap of paper from 7th-12th grades for math, science, history and several english classes. I have dozens of essays, research papers and projects. My children are definately outperforming my background in math, science and electives like Latin and Logic. I am a little concerned about writing and history. My outlines and essay tests in 7th and 8th grade history were extremely impressive. I think I really need to up my writing requirements. I wrote 1000x more than they do.

It was a blast to read about all of the books I read. It was hilarious to see my algebra 1 and 2 errors. Where was Mr. Mosley when I needed him!

Has anyone else looked through their old schoolwork?

Me, too! I thought I was the only one. . .

My mom keeps finding these "gems" from my childhood. She found a paper I wrote in 5th grade, about "Emporer (sic) Penguins". My kids couldn't believe that I spelled it wrong during the WHOLE paper, and got an A+! WHAT was my teacher smoking???

Me, too! I thought I was the only one. . .

My mom keeps finding these "gems" from my childhood. She found a paper I wrote in 5th grade, about "Emporer (sic) Penguins". My kids couldn't believe that I spelled it wrong during the WHOLE paper, and got an A+! WHAT was my teacher smoking???

LOL, I thought the same thing when I read a 4th or 5th grade report about Blue Whales. At one point in the paper, I said they were extinct, at another point I said they were nearly extinct. I got an A. I was thinking, that is a fairly large problem....

Of course, I did it all myself and the rest was decent. My cursive was also very nice! It was also funny to see traced copies of things and photocopied pictures cut out and pasted with real scissors and glue.

I don't think my mother saw a tenth of my schoolwork from those years, much less saved it! It would take up my whole basement to have all that stuff! But I did, myself, save a few things that are in various places and every once in awhile I come across them and am like, ooh, I got 10/10 on that essay question. :) For years and years I had all my 10th grade seminar readings and I know I even used a few of them (hey, they were already all formatted!) the first year I taught 10th grade history.

My children's thoughts:

1. It would be really difficult to do well in high school math at school. I got things wrong with minimal corrections, just an x usually. So I continued on making the same mistakes in homework, quizzes, and tests. My parents would not pay for a tutor. It never occurred to them. I had straight As in everything else, Aps, NM commended (my tein was a finalist bc she got 700s in math and I scored much lower.) etc. I was in non honors track just for math, algebra in 9th. My children said if I had a solutions manual and a mom poring over my daily work I would have been better off. :)

2. I made copious, detailed outlines from my textbooks to study for Ap history tests. My children are seriously intimidated.

3. Essay tests in every class. This freaked them out.

4. My 8th grader cried that she is way behind writing where I was at her grade . She is at the level of my 7th grade folder. I had tons of corrections in my writing and improved a ton before 8th grade. If my daughter stops being offended at corrections of her weak theses statements, we have time to fix her writing! :)

My mom kept samples from each year and she had one of those year book things you keep a pic, height, teacher, classmates and stuff. On the back of those pages you put favorite things about the grade, sign it and mark off what you want to be when you grow up, plus an envelope to put report cards. When I made a photo scrapbook of my childhood I made scans of it all and shrunk them so each page in the scrapbook for each age has all the things from school plus any pictures for the year. My dd recently looked at the scrapbook and was very critical of my schoolwork pointing out the misspellings, grammar problems and such (I think I created a monster) but she got a kick out of all the things I wanted to be when growing up.