Menu

Well Trained Runners?

mom26

I broke down last night and ordered a new pair of shoes. I even paid the extra money so they'll be here before my 8 miler on Saturday. Last year, and 8 mile run was a piece of cake but now as I come back after injury, it's a wee bit daunting. My half marathon is all flat so I'm trying not to train too much on hills like I usually do, in hopes that the rest on my quads will get me to that finish line. I'm so happy it's a flat course!

Thanks for tracking down an answer, I can totally see hydration being an issue.. not to be dense, but what is "energy gel" and do you eat/drink it or apply it, lol?

An energy gel is a small packet of flavored gel that you eat for fuel. GU is one brand. I will say though, be careful and stay close to a bathroom when trying these out for the first time. I ate a GU Chomp which is like a dense gummy candy and almost ended up in a bush. :eek: If I were you, I'd go with hydration first.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran (well, run/walk using Galloway) the Disney marathon last weekend. 1st time doing a marathon and it was a doozy. Should have done a better job following my training plan but was having IT band issues. Fortunately, Disney does a lot to keep you distracted from the many, many, many miles. :blink: I'm going to do some 5k and 10k races through the spring and summer to work on speed. My next long race will probably be Disney's Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon in November.

Awesome, girls! :party:

I have a half marathon next Sunday. It's gonna be slooooooow but this is my comeback after a year full of injury and finding out about my illness. So far, the crash-course training has gone well. I did a 10 miler last Saturday so I think I'm ready. :)

OK, I'm around. :tongue_smilie: Just didn't run too much in 2012. Too many issues to deal with simultaneously left me with little time for running. However, a friend of mine just qualified for Boston at the Disney marathon, so now she's helping motivate me to attempt to requalify as well. I have a half marathon in early April. Need to get crackin' on some more miles/week. Quickly!!! Then will do an early fall marathon to try to recreate the magic of a couple years ago...

I'm so excited. I did the Tinker Bell half marathon at Disneyland this morning. It was my best time yet - 2:39. (I know that's not a super-fast time, but I feel good about it!) And I feel better than I have after previous half marathons. I'm not sure what the difference is except that it was so nice & cool for the whole course.

I miss chatting with you all on the social boards. (I was formerly on the well trained runners as ocmom)

I'm so excited. I did the Tinker Bell half marathon at Disneyland this morning. It was my best time yet - 2:39. (I know that's not a super-fast time, but I feel good about it!) And I feel better than I have after previous half marathons. I'm not sure what the difference is except that it was so nice & cool for the whole course.

I miss chatting with you all on the social boards. (I was formerly on the well trained runners as ocmom)

Is this the one is Anaheim? Is it local to you or did you have to travel for it?

Is this the one is Anaheim? Is it local to you or did you have to travel for it?

Yes, in Anaheim...it's local to me. I was home and in the shower by 8:30! Of course, that's partly because the race started at 5AM, yikes!

BTW, is anybody interested in a Well-Trained Runner FB group? I realize that not everybody has an FB account but I find that since the changeover, I am losing a lot of connections and threads. I could start a secret FB one so that it cannot be searched like the boards can.

I'd be up for that!

Yes, in Anaheim...it's local to me. I was home and in the shower by 8:30! Of course, that's partly because the race started at 5AM, yikes!

I'd be up for that!

So we are both in SoCal. I am north of Temecula. You might want to try trail 1/2 marathons for something different. My goal this year is to do the Animal Series of the Dirt Devil Racing. They are based in San Diego.

Dirt Devil Racing

I had a truly awesome TM run today! That is SOOO NOT my norm. My speed was much faster than even my most well-trained TM runs. Granted it was a shorter run but the fact that I could keep up and not feel dead legs or out of breath is totally a boon to my spirits! :D

I had a truly awesome TM run today! That is SOOO NOT my norm. My speed was much faster than even my most well-trained TM runs. Granted it was a shorter run but the fact that I could keep up and not feel dead legs or out of breath is totally a boon to my spirits! :D

I am dumb. What does "TM" stand for?

No problem but it is just a group not some fancy running page.

Please do start it! I have a few half marathon plans I could post in the files section. It would be a great way to stay motivated. I so don't like making this such a public affair. I do hear that the social groups should be back "soon" but until then, a fb page would be awesome.

So we are both in SoCal. I am north of Temecula. You might want to try trail 1/2 marathons for something different. My goal this year is to do the Animal Series of the Dirt Devil Racing. They are based in San Diego.

Dirt Devil Racing

Are either of you doing the Disneyland 1/2 at the end of August? I'm thinking of doing the Dumbo Double Dare (10k and 1/2) to get my coast-to-coast medal. Registration opens today. Not cheap...but when is anything associated with Disney cheap?!

Please do start it! I have a few half marathon plans I could post in the files section. It would be a great way to stay motivated. I so don't like making this such a public affair. I do hear that the social groups should be back "soon" but until then, a fb page would be awesome.

Please PM with your name. I *think* we are already friends but I cannot link WTM names with actual people.

Hello! I'd like to join in too if that's okay! :-) I am just getting back into running after a year off. The last race I ran was the Cincinnati flying pig half marathon in 2011. I plan on running the Columbus half marathon in October. pretty much starting from scratch again.