Menu

thesaurus: bk or CDROM?

Kathie in VA

I was considering getting the Synonym Finder for my kids (3rd, 7th, and 8th) until my oldest suggested getting one for the computer. Since we do most of our compositions on the computer this might not be a bad idea (unless I'm missing something???). Then again it looks like there are ones that combine dictionary & thesaurus.

So which is a good one to get? So is it just as good to use the free ones online?

tia

I'm a big fan of books on dead tree, so with that declaration I'm going to recommend the Synonym Finder in hard copy.

Several internet-savvy friends still rely on it for all of their fiction & non-fiction writing.

Especially when I'm composing on computer I prefer my reference works to be hard copy.

HTH

YMMV

We have a hard copy, but I find the kids (and I) tend to use dictionary.com (with the thesaurus) and our old electronic hand-held dictionary/thesaurus. We're usually in a hurry to find that 'right word' so the book version is tedious. I don't think I'd buy software - I'd use the freebies online.

Maybe you could compromise and let your olders use the one on the computer and get a really kid-friendly one for your 3rd grader? I just got the American Heritage Student Thesaurus, by the same people that did the AH Student Dictionary we've used for some time now and really like. Just got the thesaurus, and the layout is SO nice, so easy to use for elementary, I'd definitely lean toward something like that with youngers. With an older dc, just about anything would work. I think it was only $12 or so on amazon, so it's not that big a splurge.

My absolute best buy this year was an electronic dictionary/thesaurus. Here's why:

When the kids are writing, they actually LIKE to find synonyms. One of my children loves to write using words that even I don't know. She just uses that electronic thesaurus, picks a synonym, and presto! She has just increased her vocabulary. My son would never use the hard copy thesaurus on his own, and looking up the words slowed down writing too much. Now it is fun for him.

However, the best part is the dictionary. Now when my kids read words they don't know, they actually want to look them up. When I'm reading and I don't know the meaning, and/or I just don't have good words to explain the meaning, then the dictionary is so very handy being small and easy.

We have a really good one that has a history of words that have been looked up. This way we can review the unknown words and cement them permanently in our memory. I do recommend buying a good one. Mine cost about $75 from Amazon and it is wonderful. In fact, this is what my daughter chose for her big birthday present this year, after she used mine. (She didn't want to share with her brother and me.)

Blessings,

Penny

My absolute best buy this year was an electronic dictionary/thesaurus.

Wow, thanks for the review of why to use an electronic one. Originally, I would have answered that I would prefer a hard copy, but you've made a very convincing stance. :001_smile:

Which electronic dictionary/thesaurus do you have?

Thanks!

Penny, you didn't give the name or a link for your awesome electronic spelling dictionary/thesaurus! :)

I think the older the dc, the better the option that will be. I'm finding with my dd (rising 4th, still young, right?) that she benefits from a bit of guidance when sorting through the thesaurus entries. I read them aloud to her so I know she's hearing them correctly and then we talk through to find the word that fits what she's looking for. That way she doesn't chose a word that is totally oddball. And even though she's a good reader, she'll sometimes have the craziest pronounciations for a word she's read before but never heard. Nope, it's better with us if she has some supervision in this. I also like that it sneaks in practice with alphabetical order, such an easy concept but something that takes time to get fast at, kwim? Using an electronic dictionary with a really young dc would shortcut that. Just my two cents. But definitely a cool idea!