Menu

best TC course on US history topics ?

I would recommend the course, "Tocqueville and the American Experiment" with Professor Cook. My son and I watched this one last year (with the course on the Federalist Papers), and we thought it was a great explanation of the American system of democracy. I was interesting to learn what Tocqueville (a Frenchman) thought about America during his tour here in the 1830s. Professor Cook also highlights some caveats that Tocqueville had, and he talks about how America has changed since Tocqueville's visit.

The course is definitely not a typical topical history course that covers what happened when. It's more of an intellectual discussion about the whys and hows of our government. I think a new citizen would find it interesting. BTW, congratulations to both of you on your citizenship!

Brenda

What is the best TC course on US history and government topics? (I do not want the very long one.) I am looking for a present for DH.

And since we both became US citizens last week, this would seem immensely fitting.

Thanks.

:hurray: :hurray: :patriot: :hurray: :hurray:

Congratulations on the bolded. That's exciting.

On the history course, we've really enjoyed Patrick Allitt's lectures on a number of topics. I think the American lectures we've heard were part of the long set that you don't want. But American Identity might be good. We've listened to him on late 19th century America and Victorian Britain and he's very good.

We used American Civil War over the summer and it did a good job of covering the nuances of the period. But I don't know that I would have been interested if we hadn't been studying the war.

American Revolution went back to the library after about 2 discs because I was reading Boorstin's American Experience volume on colonial America at the same time and was arguing too much with the TC lectures.

(BTW, Prof Allitt wrote a book titled I'm the Teacher, You're the Student that follows one semester of his time at Emory. It's pretty amusing to read. Reminds me of many of the comments and observations you've made here over the years.)

First and foremost-CONGRATULATIONS! :hat:

On the history course, we've really enjoyed Patrick Allitt's lectures on a number of topics. I think the American lectures we've heard were part of the long set that you don't want. But American Identity might be good. We've listened to him on late 19th century America and Victorian Britain and he's very good.

We used American Civil War over the summer and it did a good job of covering the nuances of the period. But I don't know that I would have been interested if we hadn't been studying the war.

I was going to recomend the same two lectures but I'm not sure they fit your description of short...

Perhaps some constitutional lectures or American literature instead of history? I haven't listened to them but the topics could be appropriate. How about Masterworks of American Art or Great American Music: Broadway Musicals or Museum Masterpieces: The Metropolital Museum of Art. We've enjoyed other lectures by both professors.

Just in case anybody cares what I ended up picking:

Despite my search for something short, I could not pass up the great deal on the set of two courses

Turning Points in American History (48 lectures) and The American Revolution (24 lectures) for $130 total, free shipping.

These new citizens will be very educated.

I use The American Identity for our high school American history. We are on our second time through this lecture series and it is excellent. I also have the book I'm the Teacher, You're the Student. I have such a crush on Prof. Allitt!!! I'd really like to get all the courses he teaches!

And congratulations from me too!