Menu

Help! My oven/stove died...

rgrin

... and my in-laws are arriving on Tuesday. We can't find a repair-man who can come look at it before Thursday, and who knows how much time it will take to repair, or even replace! So, I need to come up with inexpensive, kid-friendly and MIL-impressing meals to cook for 4-6 people that use only a toaster oven and a microwave. Any brilliant ideas

Is it possibly just the heating element?

My heating element went out a few months ago and my non-repairman-DH managed to replace it himself. (Drat! I was so hoping for a new oven!)

Wait. I just read it was your oven and stove. I am so used to having them separate. Since they are combined and everything went out, I would make sure it isn't a fuse or plug issue.

Do you have a crockpot?

If so, maybe a white chili made in the crockpot with cornbread made in the toaster oven.

Several people were talking about making hams in a crockpot around Thanksgiving. I have not tried it, but it might be worth a shot.

Lots of salads? What about appetizer/cheese and cracker type meals?

Can you grill? (I am in the south and grill year-round, but know that may not be practical.)

Honestly, if my in-laws were coming and my oven/stove died, we would be eating out every meal. Or I would be ordering in pizza.

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about the crockpot! I guess I just hit panic mode and my brain turned off. I'll have to check out that crockpot ham recipe.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's an electrical issue. The whole thing turned off with a loud "POP" this afternoon. No one was in the kitchen, but we all came running to see what the noise was. We realized it was the oven when we noticed the oven clock was off. When nothing worked, I sent DH to flip the breaker, but it was already thrown to the "off" position. He tried to switch it to "on", but the oven made another "POP" and switched the breaker back to "off". We decided to leave it alone in the "off" position and await the professionals.

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about the crockpot! I guess I just hit panic mode and my brain turned off. I'll have to check out that crockpot ham recipe.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's an electrical issue. The whole thing turned off with a loud "POP" this afternoon. No one was in the kitchen, but we all came running to see what the noise was. We realized it was the oven when we noticed the oven clock was off. When nothing worked, I sent DH to flip the breaker, but it was already thrown to the "off" position. He tried to switch it to "on", but the oven made another "POP" and switched the breaker back to "off". We decided to leave it alone in the "off" position and await the professionals.

Call an electrician to make sure you don't have a problem w/ the wiring in the house, but I'm betting you need a new stove/oven. If you can get the electrician out in the morning, you might could have a new stove by Tuesday.

Call an electrician to make sure you don't have a problem w/ the wiring in the house, but I'm betting you need a new stove/oven. If you can get the electrician out in the morning, you might could have a new stove by Tuesday.

We pulled the oven out and unplugged it. The breaker worked fine as long as the oven wasn't plugged in, so, yeah. It's the oven. Why do expensive things happen around the holidays... AFTER you've spent all of the christmas money already?