Menu

MCT with FLL, WWE, AAS - any good combinations?

Stef03

MCT is *great* comined with WWE, and then WWS. We did Sentence Island while we were finishing up WWE, and we're dong WWS and Paragraph Town together, and they are very complementary. I actually don't have her write most of the MCT assignments - only a few - because I think she is getting plenty of writing practice using WWS, but we read and discussed the books, and do all of the lessons orally, and I feel that this discussion about writing, and about how grammar applies to writing, is incredibly useful and I see it improving her writing abilities.

I'm not familiar with AAS, but recently started using LOE once a week to work on phonics-based spelling. It is complementary and not redundant at all.

I wouldn't do FLL and MCT together - for a kid that clicks with the way grammar is presented in MCT, FLL will be redundant (and probably mind-numbingly boring). There is plenty of repetition of the grammar concepts in MCT, between the grammar, writing and practice books.

We use MCT, AAS, & FLL together. AAS and MCT work well together since there is no overlap at all. With FLL, we don't use all of it, just the diagramming portion because I don't like that MCT does not include diagramming. We do diagram the MCT sentences in the "comment" section of Practice Island, but FLL moves through diagramming in a nice progression and I'm not sure we'd encounter each concept otherwise (like diagramming command/implied subjects, for example).

I use MCT with WWE/FLL (not AAS). We do two days/week of WWE/FLL and then a combination of Sentence/Practice Island and/or Music of the Hemispheres (I turn this into an outright poetry-fest!). They work well together. I love MCT for the "fun of it". I am not that thrilled with the price tag, however. My kids get excited about it, though, and that means a lot to me.

We use MCT, AAS, & FLL together. AAS and MCT work well together since there is no overlap at all. With FLL, we don't use all of it, just the diagramming portion because I don't like that MCT does not include diagramming. We do diagram the MCT sentences in the "comment" section of Practice Island, but FLL moves through diagramming in a nice progression and I'm not sure we'd encounter each concept otherwise (like diagramming command/implied subjects, for example).

:iagree:

We use MCT, FLL, WWE, and AAS together, too. There is definitely overlap between MCT and FLL, but they are presented SO differently. We enjoy doing both, although we move along quickly in both (especially FLL), so that we don't get bogged down in the repetition. DS loves LA, and I learn a lot as a teacher by going through two such different programs with him. We don't yet do much writing (just whatever is in WWE 2), so I can't really comment on MCT writing components.