Menu

Best freezer meals

medawyn

I'm getting a chest deep freeze for Christmas and I'm already planning ways to fill it! :D (my current freezer is a side by side and TINY - I can't even fit an 8x8 in there). Baby's due in mid-Feb, so I'm planning on spending Jan/early Feb filling the freezer. We've recently moved to a new area, so except the week my mom is here helping, cooking will be all on me. I figure whatever I stash will be useful.

So... your best recipes/tips for freezing? I'm always open to vegetarian options, but DH is pretty sure it doesn't count as a meal unless there's meat involved. :)

I'll have the following in there for sure:

lasagna

homemade pasta sauce (meat and marinara)

stuffed manicotti

chili (white, vegetarian, and, uh.... regular?)

Shepherd's pie

Thanks!

macaroni and cheese

chicken noodle soup

bean soups (I have a couple different varieties in the freezer at the moment)

brunswick stew

tortillini soup

mashed potatoes

green bean casserole

baked beans

muffins (I like Morning Glory muffins)

english muffins

waffles

pancakes

fudge

pound cake (sliced in individual servings)

bar cookies

berries

I keep store bought frozen foods such as:

veggies

fruit

hash browns

french fries

I also freeze:

butter

bread

buns

brown rice

I like to store meals in indivdual zip locks for quick lunches.

I've got a bunch stashed away too as I'll be using them in January.

My family loves this recipe and it freezes great. we do sub homemade options for the processed parts.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chicken-Almondine

Baked ziti

Enchiladas (beef or chicken)

stuffed peppers

Here's another from taste of home we like. I just buy bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for the veggies and make my own cream of X soup. We also like it with chunks of bread (cruton sized) verses just the bread crumbs.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Fast-Chicken-Divan

beef barley soup

shredded chicken/turkey/beef in gravy (can be served over toast, mashed potatoes, or noodles or put in sandwiches

meatballs (can be added to spaghetti, or heated with a cream sauce or for making meatball subs)

That's all I've got at the moment but I'll come back and edit if I think of more.

macaroni and cheese

muffins (I like Morning Glory muffins)

english muffins

waffles

pancakes

Mac 'n cheese - thank you for the reminder. Can't imagine what my DH would say to a month without it!

And breakfast foods - :ohmy: Hadn't even thought of that! Of course - not only handy in the morning, but who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? (or lunch, or you know, pretty much whenever...) I freeze pancakes all the time, but I hadn't thought to add them to my stockpile. Blaming it on the hormones.

I've got a bunch stashed away too as I'll be using them in January.

My family loves this recipe and it freezes great. we do sub homemade options for the processed parts.

http://www.tasteofho...icken-Almondine

Baked ziti

Enchiladas (beef or chicken)

stuffed peppers

Here's another from taste of home we like. I just buy bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for the veggies and make my own cream of X soup. We also like it with chunks of bread (cruton sized) verses just the bread crumbs.

http://www.tasteofho...t-Chicken-Divan

beef barley soup

shredded chicken/turkey/beef in gravy (can be served over toast, mashed potatoes, or noodles or put in sandwiches

meatballs (can be added to spaghetti, or heated with a cream sauce or for making meatball subs)

That's all I've got at the moment but I'll come back and edit if I think of more.

Thank you! Both recipes look delicious, and my favorite meatballs and enchiladas are definitely going on my list now. This is why I turn to the Hive; when my brain goes, I can trust you ladies to help me keep up!

Individually wrapped burritos are a life saver!

Thanks for the suggestion - adding to my recipe to-dos.

I have a bunch of soups I rotate through, tomato, potato, split pea, lentil, etc. I make double and then freeze 1/2 in a gallon bag (inside a large tupperware to make a frozen cube, rather than a thin sheet of soup). On alternate weeks I make rolls and freeze half. That way on Mondays I only have to make soup OR rolls.

Don't forget cookies or brownies! It can't all be serious in there.