Menu

Job Followup -- Call or Wait?

LisaKinVA

It has been so long since I've been left to twist in the wind, so-to-speak regarding a job. I've been recruited the last 3 times, and haven't actually gone after a job since 1993. Back then, it was SOP to follow up with calls and letters...I've sent a follow-up e-mail, but hesitate to pick up the phone lest I tick someone off.

The thing is, part of me is saying to call, and if the COO gets ticked that I called, she isn't the kind of person I want to work with. The other part of me is struggling with the not wanting to make a faux pas. This is an upper-level position, someone who works directly with the COO.

Either way, 2 weeks is a long time to wait without any sort of even basic, "Thanks for your resume," email.

I'm also supposed to hear back regarding my interview on Monday today, so I'm a bit :willy_nilly:

What do I do?

My husband interviewed somewhere, felt it went great and interviewer hinted that he would be hearing from them the next week for a 2nd interview. When 2 weeks went by with no contact from the company, my husband did a follow up phone call once. Didn't get through to the person left a message and never heard a word. He went on to find another job. 6 years later, he was working at a consulting firm and they presented him to the company he applied at previously. Owner of consulting firm was furious with husband because the word came back that he had been blacklisted at the company and now the company with upset with the consulting firm for presenting my husband. We have no idea why, his only contact with the company ever had been the interview and the follow up phone call. Apparently someone was really upset by it. Since we have no idea what caused the over the top reaction and are guessing it was the phone call, my husband will no longer do those. If the job is meant to be, they seem to move quickly in getting in touch, if not it's not worth the future repercussion of ticking someone off.

LOL...is it any wonder I'm so conflicted. Some people (higher ups I've talked to), consider the initiative with the follow up to be one of the critical factors in making their selections, and others are so personally offended that people like Stepahnie's husband are blacklisted because of it.

LOL...is it any wonder I'm so conflicted. Some people (higher ups I've talked to), consider the initiative with the follow up to be one of the critical factors in making their selections, and others are so personally offended that people like Stepahnie's husband are blacklisted because of it.

This probably isn't that helpful, but I would just follow my gut instinct on it.

A follow up phone call can always go either way, depending on who you are dealing with. That said, my two best friends and I were all looking for a position in the public school system. We sent out many resumes, and eventually all three of us got hired at different schools. These schools were for each one of us the one where we consistently followed up on, to the point that I felt embarrassed to be calling them AGAIN!!!

That said, I would never leave a message, unless they called you first.

I've sent a follow-up e-mail, but hesitate to pick up the phone lest I tick someone off.

Since you already sent a follow-up email, I would leave it at that for now - calling after you've already sent an email (that the hiring manager may not have had a chance to respond to yet) might make you seem pushy.

However, if you get an offer for the job with Company B (the one you mentioned you expected to hear back from today), and you're in a position where you need a clear answer from Company A in order to make a decision about the job with Company B, then I think a follow-up call would be fine. Along the lines of "Hi, I've received an offer from another company and before accepting, I just wanted to close the loop with you." That's totally acceptable IMO (I'm a former hiring manager and wouldn't have a problem with that in the least).

ETA: in looking at your original post again, I'm not sure if I interpreted your post correctly about a second potential job offer being involved. If I misunderstood that, please disregard. :001_smile: