Menu

Best Handwriting workbooks for K (5 year old)

I don't believe there is any one handwriting book that is going to teach your kid the proper letter formation that you want him/her to learn. It's all going to be about you sitting with him and coaching him the proper strokes a hundred million times. With few strokes and not d'nealian-esque, the biggest choices are Handwriting Without Tears, Zaner Bloser, A Reason for Handwriting, or making your own sheets/printing something off the internet.

Probably not what you want, but my 4yo PreKer & 6yo Ker are learning handwriting using lap sized whiteboards. Every day I write a sentence to copy, and I sit by them while they form each letter. It's mind-numbing, but it's the only way to make sure they are forming all the letters correctly.

We started with HWOT, but those books are slim and there was never enough practice. I had to buy 2 copies of the same workbook to last the year. I also didn't like the letter formation. The rhymes were cute though.

We went with A Reason for Handwriting this year and have been much happier. We practice handwriting daily. Penmanship has improved, and we really like the border sheets. It does seem to motivate my son to do his best, and makes handwriting (as a subject) more special.

I have 4 kiddos. 2 of them learned with Zaner Bloser in public school with little oversight. One was a perfectionist and has good handwriting. The other child just finished the pages and the teacher didn't have time to check all the children's work. My oldest son did public school K and picked up the same bad habits that I still haven't gotten remediated. Youngest ds was home and I could sit and watch and correct and erase and redo until he got it right. He finished the pre-k and k HWOT book. Now he is working on the rest of the ARFH K book that we had started last year.

I think he does better with the 3 lined ARFH b/c we did the HWOT first and he could focus on the formation without being stressed to keep it in 3 lines. He only had to focus on 2. I like the reinforcement of going back and doing the ARFH K to see how he does now with standard 3 lined paper.

I think Zaner Bloser can be good also. I used the cursive when my girls came home b/c they were used to Zaner Bloser. I wound up remediating print for the one child with HWOT though.

I agree with the pp that isn't so much what handwriting book you use as much as really sitting and watching and correcting before bad habits set in with writing.

Well, I prefer Cursive First alongside SWR. :thumbup1:

That being said, Classical Conversations has just announced the January release of the first four workbooks in their new PreScripts series. They integrate memory work with art and cursive writing. You can visit the CC Bookstore to watch the YouTube video.

I like the looks of that. Something else to pore over and decide upon! LOL!