Menu

9 yo and acne?

skimomma

My 9 yo dd has started to have some minor acne issues. At this point, it is mild and not bothering her. However, my dh had HORRIBLE acne as a teen and I had it pretty bad as well. It was hugely embarrassing for both of us and we both have permanent scarring. Neither of us had any sign of acne until our teen years however. Both of us were "late bloomers" and it appears dd will be as well (late to get and lose teeth, develop, etc.....) so I am a little baffled about the acne showing up this early. There are no other signs of puberty and I really don't expect to see any for a few more years.

So far we have been encouraging to keep her hands off her face (with little success) and to wash her face with honey during showers.

I am wondering if there is anything else we can start to establish as patterns or good habits to help her down the road. Both dh and I were prescribed harsh chemical treatments as teens. Not only do I think they were ineffective, but they also contributed to the embarrassment as they often left faces red, itchy, and dry.

Dd has a very good diet. She does not eat much junk and drinks lots of water.

So, any magic protocols that could save my dd from her genetic destiny? Or is she just doomed?

:bigear: I'm curious to hear the answers to your question, skimomma. My 8 year old ds has had a few small pimples and the other day I noticed a blackhead near his mouth. I had bad acne as a teen and I really, really hope that there a enough new products out there now that my kiddos won't have to go through what I went through. I know I need to start ds on some type of skin care regimen, but I don't know what. I will be keeping my eye on this thread!

It's probably prepube hormones. She may have several years yet before the BIg P starts, but those hormones can start ramping up now.

I think you are wise to start a good skin care routine, and the advice to keep hands away from the face is spot-on.

I'd check her vitamin, if she takes any, and look to see if there's zinc and magnesium--both are good for skin. Also taking omegas can help. Another thing is not disturbing the acid mantle on the skin--honey sounds great, and you can also wash with a super mild cleanser; my dr recommended Dove for ds' serious acne.

:bigear: I'm curious to hear the answers to your question, skimomma. My 8 year old ds has had a few small pimples and the other day I noticed a blackhead near his mouth. I had bad acne as a teen and I really, really hope that there a enough new products out there now that my kiddos won't have to go through what I went through. I know I need to start ds on some type of skin care regimen, but I don't know what. I will be keeping my eye on this thread!

It is funny because I remember thinking as a teen and younger adult that surely by the time I had kids, science would have found some magic cure. Science let me down!

DD9 started having problems a couple of years ago and it turned out to be perioral dermatitis. It looked like acne to me. She didn't eat any cinnamon or mint (or toothpaste with these) for almost a year and it went away. I was really worried! Now, if she avoids cinnamon, she's fine.