Menu

Over 40 makeup help-Sephora? Tutorials?

Tracy in Ky

I'm 45 and need some makeup tips that will help, well, you know--make me look more youthful? ;) lol. I hardly know where to start. I've heard of Sephora and looked them up online. Has anyone gone there to get a makeover? Just wondering if they *really* know what they are doing?

Also wondering if anyone knows about any great websites or Youtube tutorials with tips?

Thank you! :)

There are tons of makeup tutorials on Youtube if you search around.

I recently went to Nordstrom and walked up to a cosmetics counter where I thought the people looked decent. Turned out to be Smashbox. I asked them to do a makeover and teach me how to do it. Then I bought (almost) all of the makeup they used. I love it. For the first time in my life (now 40) I am wearing makeup everyday. I feel much better about myself. Never thought I'd say this, but now I feel naked going out without a little makeup on.

Here's a fun blog; they have a Youtube channel, too:

http://thebeautydepartment.com/

Sephora is... not so great if you're over 30. Nearly every store I've been in doesn't have a single SA over 25-ish. You need to find an SA that is around your age and who has the youthful look you want. A PP mentioned going to a counter and asking the SA who looked good to her for help. That's a good plan. Most make-up is quite similar. If you have particular skin sensitivities, most lines of cosmetics have something for that, too. Just make sure you choose your SA carefully, and make sure you tell her exactly what your concerns and needs are.

Now, doing that may hit you with sticker shock, so if you want some make-up help that won't cost anything. Here are a couple of youtube channels for you:

Amber D

Debbi CK

Donna Shorts

Lana in Indiana

Face it, age happens

They all use very different products -- from higher end department store lines to lower end drugstore lines. You can then pick and choose and try out whatever works in your price range. There are drugstore versions of most department store products.

I like Sephora. I'm over 40 and I have gotten good advice from there. What I like is being able to try different products. For my dry, sensitive skin I like Laura Mercier cream foundation. I love Urban Decay's eye liners. Urban Decay is a good example. The product is aimed towards a younger crowd, but they make a few great products, like the eye liner or eye potion (a must if you have the type of skin where your eye make-up always travels). Make up Forever makes a great primer. I can use what-ever for blush, and Sephora's own brand is good. Tarte makes the best lip stain. It's another brand aimed at a younger crowd, but it is good. Just because the SA is young doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's doing. And, FWIW, my dd, when she was 16 went to Sephora. My sister scheduled and took her for a make over. The SA was over 60, but knew how to make a young woman look pretty without wearing a ton of make-up (which the SA DID have on. :) )

I just did my annual holiday spending at Sephora. I spent quite a bit. :o But it wasn't all for me.

Sephora gals have to do a minimum 8 week training class upon hire, plus continuos training. Don't know any other makeup counter that has that much training, unless one was already a trained cosmetologist to begin with. I'd call Sephora and see if they have any older gals on staff.

Bobbi Brown is great for the over 40 crowd, as is Chanel. To me, a great non drying concealor, neutral eyeshadow but full lashes and a "your lipcolor but better" lipstick is key. Cream blush and tinted mositurizers are very kind to over 40 skin.

I agree. I've stopped using foundation now, and only used tinted moisturizer. Foundations and all powders just settle into fine lines and look terrible in a few hours. I've played a bit with Beauty Balms, too. For the most part, I get the same results with a tinted moisturizer, but I admit I do like Garnier's BB creme in the light/medium shade. It provides good moisture, doesn't cake or crease and the colour is very sheer.

For the OP, you might also want to read reviews of various make-up products. MakeUpAlley.com is my go-to for that. You do have to sign up to read stuff, but it's free. You can even filter reviews by the reviewer's age group, so that you're getting opinions from women in your own age range and skin type, not reading endless reviews from 20 year olds (who always seem to complain that everything breaks them out and is too shiny -- well, duh -- what 20 year old isn't battling oily, acne-prone skin?) I've found this feature very useful, especially on reviews of eyeshadows. Some are too sparkly and don't look very good when you're a little older. It's nice to have opinions from real ladies your own age who are actually using the products.

I agree. I've stopped using foundation now, and only used tinted moisturizer. Foundations and all powders just settle into fine lines and look terrible in a few hours. I've played a bit with Beauty Balms, too. For the most part, I get the same results with a tinted moisturizer, but I admit I do like Garnier's BB creme in the light/medium shade. It provides good moisture, doesn't cake or crease and the colour is very sheer.

For the OP, you might also want to read reviews of various make-up products. MakeUpAlley.com is my go-to for that. You do have to sign up to read stuff, but it's free. You can even filter reviews by the reviewer's age group, so that you're getting opinions from women in your own age range and skin type, not reading endless reviews from 20 year olds (who always seem to complain that everything breaks them out and is too shiny -- well, duh -- what 20 year old isn't battling oily, acne-prone skin?) I've found this feature very useful, especially on reviews of eyeshadows. Some are too sparkly and don't look very good when you're a little older. It's nice to have opinions from real ladies your own age who are actually using the products.

AHA! I think I found the explanation to that BB cream situation. It seems that North American BB creams ARE just tinted moisturizers. Asian ones are actually thicker and provide more coverage and skin correction. They (at least the Skin79 that I use) comes out of the container like a very heavy foundation, but then totally melts into your skin and becomes invisible, other than evening everything out and whatnot. I liked the Garnier fine, but I ordered a sample pack of the Skin79 from Amazon and knew immediately I'd be ordering my makeup from Korea in the future.

And now I'm off to MakeupAlley to find non-shiny goodies. :)

AHA! I think I found the explanation to that BB cream situation. It seems that North American BB creams ARE just tinted moisturizers. Asian ones are actually thicker and provide more coverage and skin correction. They (at least the Skin79 that I use) comes out of the container like a very heavy foundation, but then totally melts into your skin and becomes invisible, other than evening everything out and whatnot. I liked the Garnier fine, but I ordered a sample pack of the Skin79 from Amazon and knew immediately I'd be ordering my makeup from Korea in the future.

And now I'm off to MakeupAlley to find non-shiny goodies. :)

Coverage, skin correction and non-shiny: sounds perfect :)

The Chanel I use is like a beefed up BB cream. It is the Firming and Smoothing Liquid Makeup. It is a bit thicker but works so well. No need for primer and it leaves a very slight sheen-not oily and not matte. I would suggest Nordstrom too. Lancome, Clarins, Bobbi Brown....not Smashbox or Mac. They tend to have young girls with heavy makeup working them. I love Makeup Forever eyeliners(aqua eyes) because it goes on smoother than other liners. Maybelline Stiletto is my favorite mascara but with a decent primer anything will work better on lashes.