Menu

Craft fair ~ advice needed

AnIslandGirl

Hello,

I'm doing my first craft fair tomorrow morning, and I'm wondering what sage advice the hive can give me.

I know there must be some insider tips or secrets that I am missing. If you have ever sold at a fair, what were some of the things you did that helped your merchandise sell better? Any items you wished you had brought that would have made the day run more smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick reply here...

-bring lots of change and small bills

-water

-lunch/snacks

-partner to watch your table during a bathroom break

-decent display props (I just picked up interesting-looking wood wine racks, 70s TV dinner table rack, and another wire rack thingy from thrift stores, to put my stuff on tomorrow - it's all set up on my dining table right now, and my merchandise looks pretty good!)

-bring a project to work on while customers are browsing, so you don't make them feel uncomfortable by staring at them browsing

-greet people who come to your table, then let them browse while you keep a smile on your face while knitting (or whatever project)

-practice setting up a display today, to perfect it so you don't have to spend time fussing over it tomorrow

-bring a mirror for people who will be trying on hats/scarves/etc.

-wheeled carts/bags make transporting your stuff easier than carrying in boxes

-baskets are nice for collections of small items

-either price things individually or display a sign that has prices clearly marked, so customers don't have to ask

hth

Your work in progress that you are taking along... It will go a long way if it is the type of work you sell. People love to see the artist at work. :)

One thing I can say, for sure, is it's a turn off (to many) to read in your booth. Or play on the phone/iPad. That's not to say people don't do it, just that it's one thing that many people find irritating at worst, or just uninterested at best.

Also, I always found it helpful to introduce people to my work. If you say something like, "Let me know if you have questions," they tend to say, "Ok," and that's the end of it. And you've closed the door to further conversation - it feels awkward after that. But if you ask, "Have you seen my work before?" ... It leads to a discussion about your work, what makes it special, your unique process, etc. Then they get more interested, and if there is a personal connection they are more likely to want to take a piece of it home. Some of what you are selling is a small piece of yourself. There is more to your work than the piece itself.

I could really write volumes about this, but connecting with customers in a non-obnoxious (not hanging over them) way is at the top of the list.

BTW, I was raised in the art/craft show world, and after college I was a self-supporting artist in the show world for many, many years. My Mom, in her 70s, still does 30 of the top juried shows in the country. She is a firecracker of a metal sculptor. I was a clay sculptor, and did 36 - 38 shows per year. It was hard work! But worth it.

Take a cooler with lots of water. And if you have kiddos along, a fort under a table is a great place for them to read, play with little toys, etc. Blankets and pillows under there make it even better.

Ditto the advice on making sure everything is clearly priced. Oh! And... as mundane as this sounds... Signs are great for pricing. And on a sign, one can include something like, "Ornaments $8 or 3 for $15." It is amazing how a small price cut for buying in multiples will drive people to buy more. Suddenly, they will be pulling out their Christmas list and thinking, "Bus driver, teacher, etc." If you are personalizing items, I can offer tons of experience from trial and error on that one, too. But this has gotten way too long already!

Anislandgirl and Amana -- what kinds of crafts will you be selling? Spryte and Colleen have already given you great advice, but you might be able to get some specific ideas for the kind of things you make if you give us a few more details.

If you've done a trial setup of your display, you could post pictures, too. Not that I'm hinting or anything... ;)

Layout your space so people can come in your booth. As in don't just set up a table along the front of your space. Create a u shape or have an entrance and exit even if you have a table at the front. I often stood or sat just outside my booth to create more space inside. Depends on the set up and what you have to keep an eye on.

We always brought a rug to lay in our space...saved our legs and feet. Even a small rug where you stand will help. Bring a tall stool or chair to sit on--like a tall bar stool.

Ditto the working on your art and engaging in conversation. Be friendly, interesting, and interested in others.

Have fun!

Just a quick reply here...

-bring lots of change and small bills

-water

-lunch/snacks

-partner to watch your table during a bathroom break

-decent display props (I just picked up interesting-looking wood wine racks, 70s TV dinner table rack, and another wire rack thingy from thrift stores, to put my stuff on tomorrow - it's all set up on my dining table right now, and my merchandise looks pretty good!)

-bring a project to work on while customers are browsing, so you don't make them feel uncomfortable by staring at them browsing

-greet people who come to your table, then let them browse while you keep a smile on your face while knitting (or whatever project)

-practice setting up a display today, to perfect it so you don't have to spend time fussing over it tomorrow

-bring a mirror for people who will be trying on hats/scarves/etc.

-wheeled carts/bags make transporting your stuff easier than carrying in boxes

-baskets are nice for collections of small items

-either price things individually or display a sign that has prices clearly marked, so customers don't have to ask

hth

Great advice!

Greeting people is crucial. My aunt worked my table with me last year, and she was good at commenting on someone's cute scarf or sweater and drawing them in to my table. Then she would hold up stuff and say, "Oh isn't this cute? You can put a pair of earrings in here (my little paper purses)." Point out something unique or interesting about your stuff when someone is looking. Have fun! I'm doing my next craft fair on the 8th & 9th.

Well, I don't think I'll go back to that fair next year!! There were about fifty tables, but it wasn't very busy. I think this fair was competing with a few other better-run fairs around the city. And the room where it was held was FREEZING. It was awful. The entrance was right from the outdoors to the room, and every time someone came in or out, the cold air came blowing in. And we (meaning other vendors I talked with) didn't think the heat was even turned on in the room. Anyway, I made enough money to pay for my (very small) table rental plus some profit. And I got many compliments about the quality of my items, so that was encouraging.

I may set my sights higher next year and apply for a new "mompreneur" juried fair that has been incredibly successful in the past year since it started (this weekend is their third fair, and I heard it was jam-packed with vendors and "guests"). The girl who runs it seems very professional and business-minded, and her goal is to help as many local "mompreneurs" as possible get exposure. The booth fee is much lower than other juried fairs around here, and admission is free! I think her idea is really going to take off.

Thank you so much for all of your advice! Our Holiday Fair was a wonderful success, raising money for many local charities during this special time of year.

The biggest thing was offering a price break for purchasing multiples. It helped so much, and I thank you for that advice!

We raised more than I ever could have hoped for, and my DD who just turned 9 last week, decided that she would match whatever $ we sold at our table with her allowance savings, and my husband tripled it again. It is with a happy heart we go into this holiday season remembering that some of the "Christmas Magic" certainly can't be bought or wrapped in pretty paper and bows.

I wish for all of you much success on your tables, as we couldn't have done it without you!

Oh my goodness, the fair I attended today was fabulous!!!!! All local mompreneurs. All gorgeous hand-crafted items. Different. Creative. Non-boring. I also had many compliments as I walked around wearing one of the bags I made, so I'm definitely inspired to apply next year.

I would love to get into this sort of thing. Any advice on when to start preparing, etc...?

The first year I wanted to try selling crafts, I began crocheting hats in March, and sold in November. But I only crocheted a couple or so a month. It all depends on where you are selling, what kind of fair you are in, and how much "product" you want to have on hand (and how willing you are to have leftovers after, or how willing you are to try to sell in places other than craft fairs). I think next year I will start creating in January, and work at it all year. I was soooooooo inspired today.

I would love to get into this sort of thing. Any advice on when to start preparing, etc...?

Try thinking of using your "booth" like a Pyramid.

At the bottom tier of the pyramid, you will have many (little or inexpensive) items for sale under $10. Usually this is what draws in the crowd.

Your middle tier items are priced higher and you do not have many of them. Only a moderate amount in various styles or colors.

And finally, your TOP tier items are high quality, priced high, and only 3-5 of them in stock. Think of a theme or trend for the booth -- and use whatever doesn't sell for the next fair or they are holiday gifts. A good craft fair will earn 2-3 times the booth price, if this helps.

For Spring shows... begin prepping now. For Fall & Christmas, begin in the Winter/Spring. HTH