Menu

Growing with Grammar vs Rod and Staff opinions

michaeljenn

I have both programs for 2nd grade... both look decent, but R&S seems to make the children "think" more. R&S also has more writing versus filling in the blank. I also love the bible stories and just the overall wholesomeness that R&S has. I am having a terrible time deciding what to use for the long run. I will also be starting Writing with Ease on Monday as well. I have looked at FLL, but don't care for it too much. I want something a bit more independent. I would love your opinions on which is better.

I have had success (with one child so far) using GWG in grades 5 and 6 and then switching to Rod and Staff. I prefer to be light in grammar (doing it by identifying parts of speech in dictation) years 1-4, then be more formal 5-6 and most formal in middle school. I haven't gotten to high school yet. LOL

My son has done fine with this transition. He is getting an A average on the tests. There are some vocabulary issues sometimes but no big problem. The only reason I may switch to using Rod and Staff in 5 and 6 is the cost of the GWG workbooks vs the non-consumable R and S. I really liked GWG and it served a need for the first. (I needed an independent program, as I had a one year old, and he has writing issues and couldn't have handled to writing involved in R and S).

The wonderful thing about R&S is that much of it can be done orally. Last year, I was also comparing GWG or R&S. I was afraid that we might find R&S "dry"as many have complained. I find it to be a gentle, but steady progression in grammar. I like that it will cover some topics on writing as well. I have been very happy with R&S and plan to continue.

I used both (R&S 3rd and GWG 5th) at the same time with different kids before switching to MCT.

R&S is much more comprehensive and the answers it solicits are far more thoughtful, less formulaic than GWG. DS10 at the time could score 100% on a GWG test or worksheet without grasping a thing on the topic, because he had tuned into the 'pattern' quite inadvertently (he is actually a very good student, but easily bored and will work quickly through anything not challenging).

We generally school from a secular POV and avoid non-secular materials, but I had no problem with R&S grammar, because the instructional quality was so high. DS9 knew his stuff by the end of the book, and we enjoyed discussing introductions, telephone manners, and the other included topics such as letter writing.

Because he learned his grammar so well, I could not stomach a second year of the same, so we switched to MCT (in case anybody was wondering why we switched if I liked it so much)

I like the idea of switching around 4th grade:) When I told her we may go ahead and switch over to R&S for English she was not happy at all. She told me that her favorite subjects were GWG and WWW. :( So it looks like I will stay with it for now:)

Thanks!!

I probably won't be much help, because I haven't used R&S to compare, but I wanted to say that my dd is about the same age as your dd and she really likes GWG and WWW too. I'm hoping to stick with it. I think it appears to be a complete program.

I have used both a found R&S to be more thorough. My daughter made it through GWG with very little retention. I have finally found the trick to using R&S in our family though. I make a photocopy of the page and let her write directly on the page. So, instead of copying every noun, she can just underline them. Then the only writing involved is diagramming and actual writing exercises. You could probably do something similar with a transparency and dry erase marker, but I like making a copy.