Menu

College Confidential Athletic Recruit Forum - question

I want to ask for advice on the CC Athletic Recruit Forum. As I type my first post, I get nervous about how much information I should share. What I want to share would likely help some stalker to easily identify ds. Ds (not that I've talked to him about this particular situation) occasionally reminds me that he's 6'8" and no one messes with him.

I really, really need some guidance about the athletic recruiting process. Ds's HS coach is not very forthcoming though he'll answer any questions I ask. He really wants me to leave it to him...

Any thoughts/advice? Am I being overly cautious or not enough. I've likely shared enough on this forum that it wouldn't be difficult to identify him especially since y'all know where I live...My username there doesn't have my city, btw.

Thanks.

In order to give an idea of the HS basketball program he is in, I could share that they went to state finals last year.

In order to give an idea of what colleges have expressed interest so far, I could name them. One is in our city, I could state that - perhaps they have interest particularly because ds is local?

I would want to share that we live in FL because that gives some information about the quality of the schools (poor) and the quality of the colleges/universities within driving distance from home.

It would be easy to identify ds's HS team. I could state that ds is white. That would zero in on him.

I have posted a few questions on the Athletic Recruit forum as well and have received some excellent advice.

I understand your reservations about posting too much information: I had someone on CC go back through my old posts which was very unnerving. I didn't share enough information in any one post for someone to track down the names of my boys, but if someone was determined enough to go back through every single one of the posts I ever made, they would be able to narrow me down to a handful of families. I have since been much more cautious in determining how much info to share.

I would mention that your son's team went to states in a competitive state for basketball, but I don't think you need to mention the actual state you reside in. I would also list your son's stats because that would be important information. (You may not want to give his exact height, maybe say exceeds 6'6" which would still provide enough info.)

I also don't know if I would necessarily mention the colleges by name that are interested in your son. Instead, you could mention the league/Div of the coaches that have expressed interest that would provide enough information for someone to guide you. .

I don't know how basketball works. Tennis has a website that ranks players and permits the players to input their test scores, academic stats, etc. This is the main recruting tool that all the college coaches use. Does basketball have a similar website that showcases players? (I know ranking is much easier in tennis since it is an individual sport.)

Good luck in this process. I think the athletic recruiting process is an area where many parents are in the same boat: it seems like many high school coaches are clueless and the parents have to learn to navigate the process themselves.

I have been lurking for the most part on CC this fall. The biggest surprise to me has been how soon kids commit to their colleges - many as early as July.

Okay, my first question is how much of this can you be vaguer about and still receive help? Could you say that they made it to the final four or the final eight in the state tournament? Or if they have a track record of usually being in the final four put something like that instead. I think what you are trying to do here is indicated that this is a strong, competitive, team that made it to the top of its state level.

I would probably be open to naming the colleges he is interested in and might go so far as to name Florida, but I would not indicate that one school is in your home town. You could say that some schools have expressed particular interest in your son because they are familiar with him and his current school. You don't need to name those schools.

Next, to school quality, I'm still not clear on why you need any of that. Do you want to show that the school he plays for is not very academic so he doesn't have a strong academic record? If so I'd just say that. Does this also mean that you won't be interested/qualified for some stronger academic colleges, I think that might go without saying.

I guess I don't understand all that or the quality within driving distance. Does he want to be able to commute to college? Then you need to identify the schools in the area you are willing to look at and don't worry about offering explanations about why this is your list.

Finally I'd skip the race issue unless there is some really strong way it is going to influence the process. As you say, if it would identify him pretty directly just skip it.

Okay. I'll be vaguer. Ds is a bright boy and would like to go to an academically strong school.

It is easier for me to name colleges than to describe the quality of the academics - my choices would be substandard, mediocre, acceptable, and rigorous.

It is easier for me to name a college than to describe the level of the basketball program with my considerable lack of knowledge - my choices would be 'ain't no chance in heck that a white boy is going to make it on that team' vs. 'well, height wise he's in the running' vs. 'I think the really good programs like Duke and Kentucky (did I hear some vague news about them during March Madness which I don't follow?) are out of reach. I know the division easy, the league I would have to research. I don't want to research in order to ask a question.

While we would like ds to go to school within 8hrs or so of home (driving distance), we would limit ourselves academically if we do that. Toss in basketball, where he is in the minority (race wise), and our options would be severely limited. We are starting to adjust to the idea of sending him off an airplane ride away for the best opportunity.

My basketball vocabulary shows my ignorance. I don't know a lot about basketball so it is much easier to name the high school or college because that gives everyone the knowledge of the academics and athletics without my having to try to describe them in some vague way.

Coach is a good guy, but bright athletes are uncommon in our area. He's also overworked and way underpaid.

Thanks.

My basketball vocabulary shows my ignorance. I don't know a lot about basketball so it is much easier to name the high school or college because that gives everyone the knowledge of the academics and athletics without my having to try to describe them in some vague way.

I don't think it really matters where your son went to high school. The college coaches are going to be most interested in your son's ACT/SAT score and his gpa/class rank.

You may want to post your son's test scores and athletic stats on CC and ask for college recommendations.

Does basketball have "showcases" that your son can attend to help him get on coaches' radars outside your area? If you are not aware of any, that would also be a good question to pose on CC. I know for tennis, showcases are held at colleges throughout the country during the school year and during the summer months. I would think that showcases would be even more valuable for a sport like basketball.

Another question I would pose is the recruiting time-frame for basketball. Each sport has it unique recruitment time-frame. You want to be sure that you start the process early enough. I have noticed a few seniors have posted questions on CC the last month or so and the response has been that they came too late to the recruiting game.

You may want to post your son's test scores and athletic stats on CC and ask for college recommendations.

I'll definitely post test scores. I'll try stats as well. The problem is his sophomore year stats aren't great because he was the 6th man (not a starter but first off the bench). His competitive team stats are better, but the competitive team was D2, not D1. His junior year stats ought to be a better indicator of his abilities, but the season has just started.

Does basketball have "showcases" that your son can attend to help him get on coaches' radars outside your area? If you are not aware of any, that would also be a good question to pose on CC.

Yes, he's been to several "exposure camps". We learned about an All-Academic Camp in Boston in July a little late last summer. We finally decided against it because it was the weekend before 2 back-to-back 3 day tournaments. It's on the calendar for next summer, but I don't know if it will conflict with his competitive team tournaments again.

Meant to say that there is no central recruiting website for basketball. Dh has created a brochure and impressive website, but ds has to contact the coaches with the information.

I really need help on timing. It is my understanding (could be wrong) that colleges officially commit to athletes (and vice versa) in November and April. I wonder how common the November date is. April is awfully late in the college admission process.

I really need help on timing. It is my understanding (could be wrong) that colleges officially commit to athletes (and vice versa) in November and April. I wonder how common the November date is. April is awfully late in the college admission process.

I would definitely ask this question on CC because I think those dates are too late. From what I have been reading on CC, the recruiting season for this year ended in October. My boys have friends who are seniors that committed to their colleges this past July, and some sports have committment dates even earlier than that.

Recruited athletes should also make sure that their standardized testing hoops are completed by the end of junior year.

I think what you said in the vaguer post should work pretty well.

Since you've resigned yourself to further away I'd avoid state identify material for now.

You are also liable to be flooded with representatives who want to sell you on marketing tools for your son.

I'd ask how to identify local people who could help you and I'd really, really beat the bushes where you are to find someone who understands the process and can at least come close to figuring where your ds should aim. Then see if you can work with them some and get a better grasp on what your son's options are.

I'll definitely post test scores. I'll try stats as well. The problem is his sophomore year stats aren't great because he was the 6th man (not a starter but first off the bench). His competitive team stats are better, but the competitive team was D2, not D1. His junior year stats ought to be a better indicator of his abilities, but the season has just started.

Yes, he's been to several "exposure camps". We learned about an All-Academic Camp in Boston in July a little late last summer. We finally decided against it because it was the weekend before 2 back-to-back 3 day tournaments. It's on the calendar for next summer, but I don't know if it will conflict with his competitive team tournaments again.

Meant to say that there is no central recruiting website for basketball. Dh has created a brochure and impressive website, but ds has to contact the coaches with the information.

I know for my kids, not in basketball, the November is very common. However, they can sign at any point after that. My girls will likely be signing sometimes in December.

While we would like ds to go to school within 8hrs or so of home (driving distance), we would limit ourselves academically if we do that. Toss in basketball, where he is in the minority (race wise), and our options would be severely limited.

If he has specific schools, he should email the coach directly with details. Identifiable details.

Recruited athletes should also make sure that their standardized testing hoops are completed by the end of junior year.

Ds has a great ACT score already. He might be able to increase it by a point or two if he tries again and there are no arguments during the test. He's signed up for 3 SAT Subject tests in January. Another question I have is how necessary is taking the ACT again in hopes of another point or two? How necessary is the SAT if he's already got a great ACT score?

I know for my kids, not in basketball, the November is very common. However, they can sign at any point after that. My girls will likely be signing sometimes in December.

I just read today that the National Letter of Intent is voluntary. I think that goes along with National Signing Day. This is what I need to learn more about because I don't think it's as rigid as I first thought.

Sorry. Still figuring out the new forum and multi-quotes.

Ds has a great ACT score already. He might be able to increase it by a point or two if he tries again and there are no arguments during the test. He's signed up for 3 SAT Subject tests in January. Another question I have is how necessary is taking the ACT again in hopes of another point or two? How necessary is the SAT if he's already got a great ACT score?

From everything I have read, the colleges will accept either the ACT or the SAT, so I would not have your son take the SAT since he has a great ACT score. Another point or two on the ACT might increase your son's scholarship awards at various schools. I would have him take it again for that reason.

I just read today that the National Letter of Intent is voluntary. I think that goes along with National Signing Day. This is what I need to learn more about because I don't think it's as rigid as I first thought.

Here is my take on the process after reading many threads on CC Athetic Recruit forum:

The National Letter of Intent for Div I (not sure about Div II, and Ivy's (even though they are Div I as well) is in November. However, that seems to be just a formality as many of the kids have already been granted acceptance before that date. The two kids locally that both signed with well-known Div.I schools this month actually announced their commitments to these schools in our local paper and on the national tennis website back in July.

The Ivy League schools issue a likely letter (abbreviated LL on CC) to their accepted athletes. My take on how this works is that the coach is granted a number of slots each year by admissions. The coach asks the recruited athlete to submit all of his academic paperwork to admissions. This file is tagged as an "athletic recruit" when it gets to admissions and they do what is called a "pre-read" If the athlete meets the Academic Index (which all Ivy's use) the athlete is granted a Likely Letter. The athlete must then apply ED or SCEA to the Ivy that granted him the LL and he will formally be granted acceptance during the ED round. Based on following CC this year, many of the athletes received LL in October and there is much angst in the whole process.

My son is also interested in some very academic DIII schools. He has visited two of these schools and will visit the other school next fall. The two that he has visited have both told him the same information: Both of these coaches are given a number of slots by admissions. My son has been told to submit his academic paperwork the beginning of July (between junior and senior year). The file will be tagged and sent to admissions. Admissions will inform my son of his acceptance by the end of July. If granted acceptance, he would have to apply ED to one of the schools since the coach wants to make sure his recruited athletes are going to play on his team.

Just from reading CC, I don't think the school my son plans on visiting next year follows this process: the coaches at this school are not given any slots and the athletes don't know in advance whether or not they will be accepted during the early rounds. This makes it dificult for kids to make a decision if they are deciding between an unknown that may be Choice #1 and guanteed acceptance if applying ED to school #2. It seems that many of the kids are going with the guaranteed Choice 2 rather than risking not being accepted at Choice #1 and no longer having guaranteed admissions via coaches's support at Choice #2.

Also, again just from reading CC, the recruiting process is still going on even though the November signing date has passed, but the options are more limited now since the coaches for the most part have already selected their incoming athletes and the rosters are mostly full.

Here is how we did it, and let me tell you, it is exhausting!1. Broke it down into region, where he did or did not want to go based on weather, culture, etc.2. Broke it down into D1, D2, D3, and NAIA3. Researched each conference and coaching history, majors available, graduation rates4. Filled out the recruiting questionnaire on each college's site (you will need specific stats, club and high school coach's phone #)5. Checked the camps that the majority of schools interested in scout/attendYou have to be VERY proactive in this. Don't ever expect your coach to do legwork for you. One of the best stories I have to share is a young man that played with my son; not a D1 talent, but dedicated player. At an academic camp, the college coach saw him chase down some foul balls from the dugout and return them to the umpire. Player was also a 4.3 honors student, great SATs. He was offered an academic scholarship to a very prestigious liberal arts college and is now a senior, still playing baseball and getting a great education. We used berecruited.com and this helped my son move on to the next level. I recommend it to all of my students who wish to go on and play in college. It might not be their dream school, but they have received money and opportunity to keep playing. Good luck!

Also, again just from reading CC, the recruiting process is still going on even though the November signing date has passed, but the options are more limited now since the coaches for the most part have already selected their incoming athletes and the rosters are mostly full.

Thanks, Snowbeltmom. What sport does your son play? I will go through old posts at CC. You were able to determine information about a particular school that way? The beginning of July...Wow. July is one of basketball's evaluation periods.

3. Researched each conference and coaching history, majors available, graduation rates

5. Checked the camps that the majority of schools interested in scout/attend

Thanks, readinmom. Your son plays baseball. How did you research each conference? What are you looking for? How do you determine the coaching history? What are you looking for? How do you find out what camps the schools scout/attend?