Menu

What says the Hive? Age/Grade for Red Badge of Courage

Chrysalis Academy

I was just discussing which Civil War book my DD11 will start reading this week. We are trying to decide between Red Badge of Courage, Across Five Aprils and Rifles for Wattie.

I'll be listening for opinions. (i'd insert a big ear smiley, but can't figure out how to do it from my ipad on the new forum)

I was just discussing which Civil War book my DD11 will start reading this week. We are trying to decide between Red Badge of Courage, Across Five Aprils and Rifles for Wattie.

I'll be listening for opinions. (i'd insert a big ear smiley, but can't figure out how to do it from my ipad on the new forum)

We read Across Five Aprils when my ds was 10 (and a fairly mature reader). It was perfect. He really connected with the characters. We both enjoyed it tremendously. I'd save Red Badge of Courage for later. Lots of my friends had to read it in junior high and they all hated it. I haven't read it myself, so I can't say for sure, but I wonder if it's one of those books you can only appreciate with a little more maturity.

Thank you Cosmos! We'll be hitting the Cival War again in 10th grade, so we'll wait on Red Badge of Courage.

Anyone have any recommendations for Civil War books for a younger readers 3rd and 4th grade. I think my DD7 would like the books in the Dear America series, but are there any other good ones? ---Sorry for the hijack----

Thank you Cosmos! We'll be hitting the Cival War again in 10th grade, so we'll wait on Red Badge of Courage.

Anyone have any recommendations for Civil War books for a younger readers 3rd and 4th grade. I think my DD7 would like the books in the Dear America series, but are there any other good ones? ---Sorry for the hijack----

No worries! I'm now on the same quest for my 5th grader, now that Red Badge is out . . . I'm thinking Huck Finn as a RA, then Across Five Aprils, then ???, then Little Women? Help me fill in the ??? with some independent reads or read alouds?

No worries! I'm now on the same quest for my 5th grader, now that Red Badge is out . . . I'm thinking Huck Finn as a RA, then Across Five Aprils, then ???, then Little Women? Help me fill in the ??? with some independent reads or read alouds?

My DD just read Little Women last month and just finished Freedom Train (an easy biography of Harriet Tubman). She says she doesn't like biographies, which is why I let her read an easier one (RL5) and she liked it. She loved Little Women! I only required part I, but she continued into part II on her own. We have Tom Sawyer lined up for after the Civil War. Sounds like we're on the same page!

My DD just read Little Women last month and just finished Freedom Train (an easy biography of Harriet Tubman). She says she doesn't like biographies, which is why I let her read an easier one (RL5) and she liked it. She loved Little Women! I only required part I, but she continued into part II on her own. We have Tom Sawyer lined up for after the Civil War. Sounds like we're on the same page!

Yes, it does! :001_smile: My dd just reminded me that she plans to read the Addy series of American Girl books again - your dd might like those too? We were gifted the bound, gilt-edge versions of these books from an older cousin, and dd has read them all several times.

Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder

The Perilous Road by William Steele

Turn Homeward, Hanalee by by Patricia Beatty

These are all readers in Sonlight's American History Part 2 core. I don't know their reading levels, but the core is for 4th grade so they may work. My son particularly like Shades of Gray.

I would also wait. It was the recent selection for discussing with our co-op. My kids are 9th, 7th and 4th. My 4th grader did not enjoy or follow the story, my 7th grader is an advanced reader and did not really get into it. My 9th grade boy did fine with it, although I know there were some parts that he got a little lost. It was my first time reading it and did not particularly enjoy it. I also thought it was too graphic for young kids. It was realistic since it was set in the war and really made us feel the brutality and cruelty of war. I think Across Five Aprils would be a better fit.