Menu

How spicy will this be?

k2bdeutmeyer

I have one DD who cannot handle ANY spice at all.....a taco (using the store packet seasoning) is her absolute MAX and even then, she puts sour cream on it to drown out the "spice". Can anybody tell, based on the recipe, how spicy THIS might be? DH requested mexican for dinner (specifically something fajita or enchilada like) and I kinda wanted to try this, but I'm just not sure if it's too much for DD?!?

It might be a mit much for her based on the way you describe her tolerance. However, if she will put the avocado, extra diced tomatos, and the extra sour cream on top, I would think those would tone it down enough. My picky, spice intolerant, dd would not want the toppers and it therefore would not work for her. :glare: But, you might just pull it off.

It might be a mit much for her based on the way you describe her tolerance. However, if she will put the avocado, extra diced tomatos, and the extra sour cream on top, I would think those would tone it down enough. My picky, spice intolerant, dd would not want the toppers and it therefore would not work for her. :glare: But, you might just pull it off.

She won't do avocado or tomatoes, but she would do sour cream. Hmm......

The canned green chilies are fairly mild for people used to "picante," but for a child with no tolerance for heat I would suggest a substitution. You can fire-roast green bell peppers yourself. This can be done directly over a gas flame on a range (sometimes messy), in a dry cast iron skillet, or under a broiler. Turn peppers often, but do let the skin "char" and turn black (don't overdo it).

One all the skin is black, toss the peppers in a paper bag (to steam and cool). Then (with a spoon or butter-knife) gently scrape away the charred skin. Don't worry if a small number of burnt specks remain. Then open the peppers and remove the seeds. Then dice. Do not rinse the roasted peppers to get them "clean" as it kills the flavor.

The Enchillada sauce in a non-starter. Replace with a tomato based sause, or a cooked Salsa Verde made with fresh tomitillos.

I would add cilantro (if there were no cilantro haters in the family) and a squeeze of lime to compensate flavors. There is no reason you could not make a yummy no-picante version of this dish.

Bill

ETA: I see the recipe also calls for a Red Pepper (presumably a Bell) that is diced and sauteed with the onions. I would fire-roast the Red Pepper (as above) instead. It will give a lot more traditional flavor.

It sounds spicier than your dd's tolerance to me.

As a mom with a kid who had sensory issues as a child and who continues to have an aversion to spicy food, I just make a plainer version of what I'm serving for him. Shred the chicken and let her eat it over plain pasta (or a bit of olive oil and garlic or butter or something she'd like). Just hold out some of the pasta and hold out some of the chicken after it's cooked but before it's sauced up. Let her have raw carrots or some other vege and enjoy your new recipe!

Based on the canned chiles and two sauces, this will be too spicy for your dd.

You can make enchiladas instead...

For your dd just dip the tortilla into a canned tomato sauce before frying.

This is pretty much how everyone gets the kids started here in Mexico. As they get older, moms will add one mild dry red chile without seeds, and continue increasing as time goes by. At this point my kids (8,11,13) will all eat enchiladas made with dried Ca. chiles (seeds removed), accept my 2.5 yr old.

For the adults you can make a fresh sauce or use canned if you prefer.

If you really want pasta, you can use a couple fresh Passilla Chiles, or Anaheim, maybe even a bell pepper. Deseed whichever type you choose, roast on stove top or in broiler, then toss in the blender with heavy cream. That is your sauce. heat and serve over the chicken and pasta.