Menu

K12 Users - Please Advise

Hey everyone, my son is currently in 9th grade Connections Academy. Our problem is that there seems to be a mojor disconnect between the materila presented and the assessments. My son studys very hard, understands the material, but when it comes to the quizzes and tests - he gets so frusterated. His teachers have even admitted that many of the questions are unrelated or strangley worded. My question to K12 users, Are the assessments clear and do they match the material being taught? I am really worried about the amount of stress that he is going through.....Thanks for reading!

I have only used K12's K-8 courses. I found that in many of the assessments there was a disconnect between what was taught and what was tested on the assessment. This was particularly evident in the science courses starting in grade 4. (Disclaimer: We only used K12's literature, history, and science courses.)

I have also used other (high school level) online courses and they all seem to do this. The only online courses that I've had success with are Derek Owens physics and math courses and they aren't from an accredited school. The other distance learning option that we've used with success is Oak Meadow.

Thanks Kai, I appreciate the feedback :-) At this point, I between a rock and a hard place.... My husband doesn't think we can do high school without a structured program and a bm school is out of the question, but I'm so fed up - I don't know what to do.

There are many online high school options besides CA and K12, maybe look into one of the others?

@OP Possibly consider Distance Learning, from the High School of Texas Tech University ISD (TTUISD). Their courses are designed so that the students can pass the tests required by the State of Texas. Our DD is in their Middle School. Each of her textbooks has "Texas" on the cover, and, inside, they have a lot of data, regarding the tests the students are required to take. Their courses are designed so the students can pass the examinations. The TTUISD "Online" courses require that traditional textbooks be purchased. We bought the textbooks for DD from sellers on Amazon.com

What your DC, and that of a prior response, have experienced, with Connections Academby and K12, would be frustrating, at the least. GL

My dd is using K-12 for 7th grade through GCA. There are on-line assessments for science and math every lesson and then unit tests -- I have not noticed questions on the tests that were not covered in the material. Okay, I just asked my dd, and she says sometimes she sees questions in reading and history tests that she doesn't think are covered (I don't monitory those as closely), but not in science and math. Hope that helps.

Martha

Same here. We dropped k12 this year. The assessments did not match up with the study guides whatsoever. I remember being so frustrated with ds, but then he showed me the material and he was right. Check out American School, very straightforward and accredited, if that matters. There are so many options for high school; they don't have to be online.