Menu

white elephant gifts

Are there any rules? We did one where it had to be something you already had, value under $10. I gave a book on how to make towel origami animals and got a candle from Jeruselum in return. One time we had a $20 value and I found a stainless steel water bottle and neoprene lunch bag for a steal. I got a family board game in return.

This year, I'd probably go with something kitchy like one of those Diamond candles where you melt it down to see if you got a fancy ring or a cheap one. :laugh: Or candy. Everyone likes candy.

You'll get a lot of complaints about this type of party because people have different understandings of what a "white elephant" gift is. Some people bring something they have laying around the house. Some people buy something kitchy and tacky. Some people just buy a regular gift. I've always had fun with them. We were part of a sunday school class that was all young married couples in the first few years of marriage. One year we got a pretty Christmas ornament. Another year we got a tube of um, personal lubricant (which the class found hilarious). It was all in good fun and everyone had a good laugh about it. I hear stories about people getting super intense about these gift exchanges and pretty much confuses me. Just take a small box of chocolates or a game or a coffee mug or something like that. :)

We are doing a white elephant at our party this year. We sent rules along with the invite. It's a family party, so nothing naughty. It has to be something from around your house OR under $10. We are doing funny gifts. Oh, and it isn't mandatory. I'm going to have 2 or 3 to start out with. If you bring one, you take one. If you don't bring one, that's cool, too.

Last year I made a 'Date " **hometown** style". (We are all from a small 'hick' town)

I took two mismatched pint mason jars and glued them to glass candle sticks, to make 'hillbilly wine glases'

I put in a gift card for McDonalds

A 2 litter of store brand Root Beer (teens were in our group or I would have bought cheap wine).

Cheez-its.

Then I included a box of 'Ho-Hos for dessert.

It cost under $20 and was a huge hit.

Church group with elder participants makes me think fuzzy or microfiber blanket, photo frames, mugs stuffed with suckable candies or chocolate kisses, wooly socks, crossword/soduko/logic puzzle books (to use or to share), instant hot chocolate w/mugs, gift cards they might re-gift to kids or grandkids, inexpensive prayer books ... I've seen lots of little "aren't those nice, but I'd never buy one for myself" things around Christian bookstores that could work, too; plenty in the $10 range.

One time I took a 2 liter of diet coke--it was the most coveted gift!

For your party I would probably take something like a nice mug and put in hot chocolate or tea, an ornament, popular novel, dvd, movie tickets, hand towels, picture frame, puzzle, etc.

I LOVE white elephant gifts. We usually take something around the house. It was a huge hit with our young marrieds group the year we took a Star Wars Christmas album we decided to get rid of.

The fun part is finding out what the HITS are and what are just duds. But everyone is doing it for fun. And they are supposed to be cheap. The game IS the gift, not what you go home with. Sometimes there is even a gift that gets traded year after year after year.

Starbucks gift cards are usually highly sought after as well.

I still have a quillow I got at a White elephant party when I was 17 years old. Gets sued sometimes too!