Menu

Books on same level as Magic Treehouse

Writerdaddy

Hi there,

I am looking for read alouds for my third graders, and unfortunately one of them pretty much draws a blank on the kinds of things you guys are probably reading to your third graders.

One thing that worked well was My Father's Dragon series. Magic Treehouse is also good but we are listening on audiobook-- the author is a very effective reader. So, for my in-person readings what could I substitute that would be on the same level as Magic Treehouse, but definitely not above it?

Thanks!

There is a Canadian equivalent to the Magic Tree House series called the Canadian Flyer Adventures. It is available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Flyer-Adventures-Beware-Pirates/dp/1897066805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353635823&sr=8-1&keywords=Canadian+flyer'>http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Flyer-Adventures-Beware-Pirates/dp/1897066805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353635823&sr=8-1&keywords=Canadian+flyer

Canadian amazon site: http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Flyer-Adventures-Beware-Pirates/dp/1897066805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353635823&sr=8-1&keywords=Canadian+flyer

Boy or girl?

I've got more girl suggestions than boy suggestions:

American Girl books

Gooney Bird Greene

Judy Moody

MacDonald Hall series by Gordon Korman (DD loves how funny these are)

Betsy-Tacy

Anything that Beverly Cleary wrote - I think DD would enjoy reading the woman's to-do list if she'd publish it

Franny K. Stein series - very funny also. It's a little girl that's a mad scientist. Might be a tiny bit easier than Magic Tree House

Wayside School

Cobble Street Cousins

Ivy and Bean

ETA: I'm sorry. I thought you were looking for books for the 3rd Grader to read not as a read aloud. My read aloud suggestions are:

Twenty-One Balloons

Tales of Robin Hood - DD enjoyed this so much that she was Maid Marian for Halloween this year

Kildee House

The School Story - we read this in the car on a trip and DH even enjoyed it

Understood Betsy - My absolute favorite read aloud ever

Mrs. Piggle WIggle

The Wheel on the School - takes awhile to get into it but then it's wonderful

The Year of MIss Agnes

The Family Under the Bridge - take place during Christmas

Homer Price

Carry On, Mr Bowditch - I forgot about this. It's tied with Understood Betsy for best read aloud ever.

Paddle to the Sea - this is short but a great book

Thanks! I have a boy and girl twins, but it's the boy who basically did not hear much of anything at all during a read aloud. I think probably what you might read aloud for a 2nd grader might work for him, or perhaps what most would consider 3rd grade read to your self, that might work for read aloud to him.

So it's a boy and probably you should think of him as 7 yrs. old.

Something like Harry Potter-- forget about it, way too much.

thanks again.

Thanks! I have a boy and girl twins, but it's the boy who basically did not hear much of anything at all during a read aloud. I think probably what you might read aloud for a 2nd grader might work for him, or perhaps what most would consider 3rd grade read to your self, that might work for read aloud to him.

So it's a boy and probably you should think of him as 7 yrs. old.

Something like Harry Potter-- forget about it, way too much.

thanks again.

Alright - good info. Based on that I would recommend:

Tales of Robin Hood - short chapters, lots of action, easy to follow

Mrs. Piggle WIggle - funny and each chapter can stand alone

Homer Price - lots of boy hijinks, funny parts

Paddle to the Sea - short book with lots of illustrations and chapters are only a page long, I think this could be a great choice

Boxcar Children

This is great also!

Try mrs. Piggle wiggle for sure! Box car children is good too. My girls really like the fudge books by Judy bloom. Tales of a fourth grade nothing, super fudge, and double fudge! The mouse and the motor cycle or Stewart little books are easier to follow along.

Thanks!

I am looking into all of these suggestions.

Had a question: are there multiple stuart little books, or is the message above a typo about that? My kids loved stuart little but were very disappointed in the ending (or lack thereof).

I looked in the Franny K. Stein and was cracking up reading the Amazon preview. That doesn't happen for me much or all. Hope my son will like it but know my daughter will. Haven't found anything quite like that for boys yet.

My kids had no trouble following along with Charlotte's Web. Like your children they also enjoyed Stuart Little but we were all disappointed in the abrupt ending.

They also enjoyed My Father's Dragon, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Gooney Bird Greene, and we've just now started on A Cricket in Times Square.

Hi there,

I am looking for read alouds for my third graders, and unfortunately one of them pretty much draws a blank on the kinds of things you guys are probably reading to your third graders.

One thing that worked well was My Father's Dragon series. Magic Treehouse is also good but we are listening on audiobook-- the author is a very effective reader. So, for my in-person readings what could I substitute that would be on the same level as Magic Treehouse, but definitely not above it?

Thanks!

My boys love the "Who was" series or the "Who is" series. Lots of great biographies !

My kids have really enjoyed the animal and bird books by Thornton W. Burgess. Each chapter is a story and there are multiple chapters in each book. DS6 started listening to them earlier in the year and is now reading them on his own, but even my DD9 still reads and enjoys them.

Oh, and librivox has audio versions for most. :)