Menu

What age to start guitar lessons?

lynn

My ds 12 (almost 13) started learning to play the guitar when he was 10 and our co-op offered a guitar class. Prior to that, I had asked a friend who played guitar and he advised me to wait until 10-12 years of age to start guitar.

I did start my dc on piano when they were 7 and they are still taking piano lessons as well. My ds who plays the guitar was able to teach himself new chords and progress on his own because he understood music from piano. He has learned scales and chords on the piano and it translated very well to guitar.

My philosophy is to have a few years of piano and then branching out to other instruments after that. I admit I am biased though since my mother was a piano teacher and I took lessons for 9 years. :tongue_smilie: I also think an older child will have more maturity to persevere with the guitar as it is challenging. We happened to have a nylon stringed guitar on hand which is what he learned on. After almost a year with that one, we got him a steel stringed guitar, which hurts the fingers more. I think starting with easier, softer strings helped with the learning curve as well.

My dd12 has taken guitar for a year and is pretty good! She has never taken piano. Why would you need to take piano to play guitar?

I was thinking piano is good introduction to reading and understanding music if she was to young to start with guitar lessons.

My ds started guitar at 6yo for a year, then took a year break to let his hands grow a bit (and for me to find a better teacher) because he wanted to learn electric guitar. He started back at 8yo with a great teacher playing both electric and acoustic. He has now sold all his electric guitars and plays exclusively acoustic.

He never took piano lessons. He started by learning to read "tab" and then progressed to reading music on a staff.