Menu

Is it possible to live long-term in an RV?

I am thinking about buying a friend's trailer. It is 28 feet long and sleeps ten and is practically brand new. We live in a teeny house and my main purpose for such a purchase would be to put my two older boys out there - they are adults after all - so that we can all have a bit more space. Of course, the RV would be sitting right next to our house and they would have free run of the house if they needed anything. I'm just thinking this might be a stop-gap measure to increase the size of our living quarters until they all grow up and move out.

We've thought about adding on but that would cost at least $50,000 - the trailer costs $15,000. My husband is blue collar and already works two jobs just so I can stay home. I'd like to do the most cost effective thing.

Any thoughts pro or con would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Would they use the bathrooms in the RV? How would you handle that? You usualy are not allowed to empty them into a city sewer line. There might also be rules in your city abour where you can park RVs or for how long. I don't know where you live so of course this may not apply but it's something to keep in mind.

Are you older boys in college? Do they work parttime? If you're buying them their own space, I would consider having them pay rent so that they have a sense of ownership. Not as much as an apartment or anything but a little. You could always set it aside to help pay for school later.

I think it sounds like a good solution. My sis and her dh lived in one for about 5 years while they built their house. She was ready to burn the thing when they moved out, but other than that, it was fine. The only thing you might need to check on (depending where you live) would be zoning. (Is that the right word??:tongue_smilie:) We had friends that were ticketed for keeping theirs by the house. Something about the neighborhood. And it wasn't like they lived in a place with a HA.

Well that is pretty creative.

My gf lives in her trailer M-F, but she works full time during the day. She works as a financial consultant and goes out on jobs for 6 months at a time. She parks her trailer at the closest trailer park to her current job and leaves it there when she goes home to her house on the weekends, (she has the type of trailer that hitches to a truck). She likes it better than staying in hotels.

I don't think she has to deal with AC or heat though because she lives in CA. I wonder how the heating/cooling would work for your boys.

It sure would be fun to own a trailer for weekend get aways.

The other thing to consider is that an add on to your home would make your house worth more and appreciate over time. A trailer depreciates with time. You might want to run the numbers to compare the two while you are doing your research. because the interest on a second mortgage to improve your home would be a tax write off and your payment spread out over 30 years.

check out this website. www.familiesontheroad.com . There are plenty of families that do that. Some travel, some do not. Look at the family profiles and check out the message board while you are there. Don't know if that would fit your scenario, but might give you some ideas.

My only concern would be if your township allows a "2nd residence". The other issue would be electricity and water. You could have it permanently plumbed and wired. We live in an area hit by Hurricane Rita and there are still families with their RV's hooked up in that manner.

If i were a teenager I think it would be a fun place to live.

My only concern would be if your township allows a "2nd residence". The other issue would be electricity and water. You could have it permanently plumbed and wired. We live in an area hit by Hurricane Rita and there are still families with their RV's hooked up in that manner.

oh yeah..... forgot about that.

our own ordinances require that any trailer/RV be currently registered, so you'd have to maintain the registration. There might also be homeowner insurance issues and/or auto insurance issues. We are not allowed to use an RV as a "permanent residence" --but our code compliance guy also operates on a complaints-only basis, lol. The benefits of living in a smaller town ;) So as long as we weren't upsetting anyone, the city really wouldn't care.

but you might also be able to request a waiver --cities issue waivers all. the. time. Be very informed of the sitiation [how it will affect your insurance and how you intend to handle the septic/ water/ electricity issue].

but honestly? I'd probably do it and not bother saying anything to anyone.