Menu

No words (re: job)

DH's is new job (full time) has been taking a long time trying to figure out where he is needed. We haven't been worried because they have been giving him hours, and offering over-time. The only inconvenient part is that they have been giving his schedule week-by-week so DH hasn't been able to schedule a client with his other job.

DH just called and his supervisor just told him that he likely won't be able to stay in the program. She said she is working with the HR Dept to find another program or office for DH to go into, but alternative is that he may only a floater/PRN.

The boss at his old company has, understandably, been frustrated with this situation with DH's new job, and I am trying to stay hopeful that she will let DH continue his employment there, even if it means facing the same challenges...

DH's supervisor said she should know by the end of the week, and right now DH has no schedule for next week.

There are just no words. We are, essentially, back to square one.

Update: Post #14!!!

Edited by A.Balaban

Is moving to another state an option? Sometimes going where the jobs are is the only option. :grouphug:

Where are the jobs, though? :bigear:

We haven't moved because I am in school, DH has been looking for jobs in other states. I graduate in Dec, so after that we would be free to move.

A local factory is hiring seasonal workers and having an open house on Thurs, I'm going to see if DH can make it....

Where are the jobs, though? :bigear:

We haven't moved because I am in school, DH has been looking for jobs in other states. I graduate in Dec, so after that we would be free to move.

A local factory is hiring seasonal workers and having an open house on Thurs, I'm going to see if DH can make it....

Just the fact that you are open to moving increases the chances of finding a good job, but I'll tell you, the two times my husband found himself suddenly out of work, looking for a job was like a full time job in itself. Really, he had to put in many hours a day. What is his field? Yours?

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Just the fact that you are open to moving increases the chances of finding a good job, but I'll tell you, the two times my husband found himself suddenly out of work, looking for a job was like a full time job in itself. Really, he had to put in many hours a day. What is his field? Yours?

Dh has this problem last time he was unemployed, not realizing just how much it takes to find a job....

DH works in mental health, he has a degree in psychology, but the higher-level jobs aren't open to him yet due to lack of education (no masters degree) and job experience (under 3 years working in his field). He's working on his thesis in his masters of philosophy. DH obviously talked to no one about what it would be like to work with a degree in psych, or why on earth he should get a degree in philosophy :lol:

Me? I work retail. My last job was at Target. I would work weekends/evenings except the jobs he has held recently have been strange hours so it would be impossible. Plus, we are down to one car. I was hoping to start looking for a part-time job once we got DH's schedule. Or something.

I am babbling, I'm sorry. I just... I got my hopes up. I thought something might work out. Obviously I used up my quota for good things.

Dh has this problem last time he was unemployed, not realizing just how much it takes to find a job....

DH works in mental health, he has a degree in psychology, but the higher-level jobs aren't open to him yet due to lack of education (no masters degree) and job experience (under 3 years working in his field). He's working on his thesis in his masters of philosophy. DH obviously talked to no one about what it would be like to work with a degree in psych, or why on earth he should get a degree in philosophy :lol:

Me? I work retail. My last job was at Target. I would work weekends/evenings except the jobs he has held recently have been strange hours so it would be impossible. Plus, we are down to one car. I was hoping to start looking for a part-time job once we got DH's schedule. Or something.

I am babbling, I'm sorry. I just... I got my hopes up. I thought something might work out. Obviously I used up my quota for good things.

Oh Honey, I 've felt that feel. It's tough to depend on the guy you love when you feel like maybe his planning skills aren't what they should be. Has he looked for jobs in maybe the insurance industry or something similar? There are jobs that don't care what your degree is in as long as you've shown you can stick with a bachelor's long enough to complete it. I mean, he may not want to process claims or sell insurance as a career, but it's a solid white collar, decently paying job in the meantime. And I don't know where you all live, but for you, some of the more in demand jobs are available with a certificate program. Have you looked into ultrasound or radiology tech or physician's assistant? Most tech or medical assistant jobs are quick and dirty 1-2 year programs that pay pretty well. Pharm tech is another good one.

Oh Honey, I 've felt that feel. It's tough to depend on the guy you love when you feel like maybe his planning skills aren't what they should be. Has he looked for jobs in maybe the insurance industry or something similar? There are jobs that don't care what your degree is in as long as you've shown you can stick with a bachelor's long enough to complete it. I mean, he may not want to process claims or sell insurance as a career, but it's a solid white collar, decently paying job in the meantime. And I don't know where you all live, but for you, some of the more in demand jobs are available with a certificate program. Have you looked into ultrasound or radiology tech or physician's assistant? Most tech or medical assistant jobs are quick and dirty 1-2 year programs that pay pretty well. Pharm tech is another good one.

He has looked for jobs just about any field - I am not sure about insurance specifically, but I know he has applied for just about everything he could find entry-level, including sales. He even applied to a 911 dispatcher, mechanic, car sales.... Last job he applied to was preschool teacher. Of course they did call him back but he had just started this brand new shiny job. So, he will start there first thing in the morning and see if they are still looking for teachers. DH worked briefly there for 2 months and got a shining recommendation from another teacher to HR.

Yes, I have... I was in a pre-med. tech program but the problem is the travel (program requires classes and clinicals about 1 hr or further from where I am now) and lots of gas/childcare $$....At least at my school, ultrasound/radiology tech is very competitive. I applied for a phlebotomy program over the summer (that would have started in Sept) but did not get in. I could go back to being Pre-Med tech, I have 2 semesters of classes left prior to being able to apply to actual Med-tech program, and then actual Med-Tech program is four semesters. (Edit: But we are down to one car atm)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If he just needs to make some money and can work odd hours, can he apply for seasonal positions at FedEx or UPS? The work isn't glamorous and doesn't pay a ton of money, but every dime helps when times are tough and a permanent full-time job isn't available yet.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If he just needs to make some money and can work odd hours, can he apply for seasonal positions at FedEx or UPS? The work isn't glamorous and doesn't pay a ton of money, but every dime helps when times are tough and a permanent full-time job isn't available yet.

He has looked into those before, and I will def. suggest that he look into them again. They are within his regular commute.

He got back from work, and said that other floor staff said that "this happens often" but typically "HR drops the ball" and the person stays on with no change in hours. :confused:

:thumbdown: We still don't have his schedule for next week though.

DH's supervisor gave him a venation schedule for next week, yesterday.

Today at work, DH finally heard from his supervisors boss. He said "Oh, hmm. Well, why doesn't he call X program to see if they need someone?" Program says "Oh, sorry, we just got a new person...." DH's supervisor was like :cursing:

DH supervisor called her boss back and he agreed that DH could stay. They have at least one admit next week, and looking at two more in the next couple weeks.

:hurray::hurray:

Now if we can just get holiday schedule that would be great. :tongue_smilie: