Menu

Career suggestions?

I am trying to find my niche, my "thing," what I do for a living. I know the method of figuring out what you enjoy and then finding a way to make a career out of it, so that's what I'm trying to do. Basically, I enjoy words and language, reading and writing, and I love homeschooling. I have a bachelor's degree in English, and will be starting on my master's degree after the first of the year. So, how can I combine these into an income-making endeavor? Obviously I prefer something I can do from home while caring for my kiddos. I thought about trying to teach a homeschool class of some sort. Writing came to mind, but there is already a lady not too far from here who teaches a middle school writing class. I thought about trying for maybe a 3rd-5th grade writing class, but I'm not sure there's much of a market around here (tiny town and all). The idea of writing my own curriculum is incredibly daunting. I have written a history curriculum, but that basically is just a correlation of resources that I found online and put all together. I don't really consider it to be my work (though it took me forever, and I'd love to be able to market it). When I get my master's, I hope to be able to teach at the college level (online English classes and the like), but that is several years away. Can you guys offer me some more immediate suggestions? What do you think is needed in the homeschool arena? Or what other ideas can you offer for my particular skill set and interests?

I am signed up with them (and I have a "4" rating) but I have yet to do any work because I don't understand any of the assignments.

post in the writer's forums.

What are you struggling with? I find many easy articles in the home and family section. These often have no keyword requirements. Often they are just blog posts on enthralling topics like "Should window blinds go inside or outside the recess?"

BTW, make sure that you can write AP style. I went to the used bookstore and bought an AP guide. This is very important. And the TB blog is very helpful too.

post in the writer's forums.

What are you struggling with? I find many easy articles in the home and family section. These often have no keyword requirements. Often they are just blog posts on enthralling topics like "Should window blinds go inside or outside the recess?"

BTW, make sure that you can write AP style. I went to the used bookstore and bought an AP guide. This is very important. And the TB blog is very helpful too.

The problem I have with something like the assignment you mentioned is how in the world do you come up with 300 or 400 words about that? And how do you do it quickly enough to actually make any money given that most of the articles only pay $4 or $5 or something?

Anyway, Textbroker is not really what I'm looking for. I actually already work doing general transcription, and I like that okay. But I'm really looking for something that would be more of a career, something I can really enjoy and find a passion for it and enjoyment of it, something I would want to do long term.

The problem I have with something like the assignment you mentioned is how in the world do you come up with 300 or 400 words about that? And how do you do it quickly enough to actually make any money given that most of the articles only pay $4 or $5 or something?

Anyway, Textbroker is not really what I'm looking for. I actually already work doing general transcription, and I like that okay. But I'm really looking for something that would be more of a career, something I can really enjoy and find a passion for it and enjoyment of it, something I would want to do long term.

yup. I know. It has helped me quite a bit to have editors picking apart my work grammatically. And it is possible to make up the word count.

I long to break into real publishing, and I am slowly starting. TB helps me make a little $$$ while I hone my writing. You do end up getting better assignments when you have made some contacts with direct orders. I've even had clients ask, "Got any article ideas? Write em!" Which I LOVE.

you can also google "submission guidelines" for magazines that accept queries from freelancers. I usually throw in a keyword, like cooking, devotional, farming or whatever I feel like writing that day to narrow the options.

yup. I know. It has helped me quite a bit to have editors picking apart my work grammatically. And it is possible to make up the word count.

I long to break into real publishing, and I am slowly starting. TB helps me make a little $$$ while I hone my writing. You do end up getting better assignments when you have made some contacts with direct orders. I've even had clients ask, "Got any article ideas? Write em!" Which I LOVE.

you can also google "submission guidelines" for magazines that accept queries from freelancers. I usually throw in a keyword, like cooking, devotional, farming or whatever I feel like writing that day to narrow the options.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't really want to be that type of writer. I'd like to do something that incorporates education, homeschooling, etc.

I am currently working on my MA in English, and am hoping as well, at some point, to teach English at our local community/junior college.

In the meantime, I have a side job reading papers for an English professor, so that might be an option for you. School districts sometimes hire readers for middle/high school as well.

Other options that occurred to me:

• tutoring
  • a high school level writing class for homeschoolers: report writing, composition/essays, creative writing, etc.
  • grant writing
  • Colleges sometimes hire research assistants as well
  • teaching assistant (usually very part-time hours)

I enjoy words and language, reading and writing, and I love homeschooling. I have a bachelor's degree in English

How about tutoring? There is a HUGE need among public, private, charter, and home school students for learning how to write.

Coaching students for the SAT/ACT essays?

What exactly does a reader do? How do you find this type of work?

I read and grade essays. I simply sent a letter outlining my skills and education to the English Dept. at the local college, and one of the professors contacted me.

And in regard to how much tutors get paid, I think it is generally around $30-50 an hour.

I read and grade essays. I simply sent a letter outlining my skills and education to the English Dept. at the local college, and one of the professors contacted me.

And in regard to how much tutors get paid, I think it is generally around $30-50 an hour.

Hm. I wouldn't have thought of that at all. And we actually have a couple of colleges in the area. Thanks!

I started a career about four years ago and love, love, love it. I'm actually working right now, LOL.

I'm a classroom transcriber for deaf and hard of hearing students all around the country. I worked in class for two years first, at a local university but now work solely from home via Skype (most remote companies require at least a year of in-class work before going remote). I'm working right now, but the students are taking a test so I'm on standby.

You can take a look at www.typewell.com if you want to see if this interests you. If you want to PM me links to universities near you to see if any of them use this service, I'd be happy to take a look. I'm pretty sure I've done some work with colleges in Georgia.

I work about 30 hours a week and am paid a good wage per hour. The thing is, though, the hours are morning hours typically (since you're working for schools) and you're not available to kids when you're working. In our situation, this works because my husband is home until 3:30 in the afternoon when he goes to work.

I started a career about four years ago and love, love, love it. I'm actually working right now, LOL.

I'm a classroom transcriber for deaf and hard of hearing students all around the country. I worked in class for two years first, at a local university but now work solely from home via Skype (most remote companies require at least a year of in-class work before going remote). I'm working right now, but the students are taking a test so I'm on standby.

You can take a look at www.typewell.com if you want to see if this interests you. If you want to PM me links to universities near you to see if any of them use this service, I'd be happy to take a look. I'm pretty sure I've done some work with colleges in Georgia.

I work about 30 hours a week and am paid a good wage per hour. The thing is, though, the hours are morning hours typically (since you're working for schools) and you're not available to kids when you're working. In our situation, this works because my husband is home until 3:30 in the afternoon when he goes to work.

Thanks. I've actually looked into this before, but it would not work for me (the unable to work from home for about a year part).

What would one charge as a writing teacher/tutor?

What the market will bear.

That will vary drastically from one state to another, and one city/town WITHIN that state to another.

Try an internet search for tutors in your area. I noticed you list GA as your location. Wyzant is a website that allows you to search for tutors by subject area, and then by zip code. I selected writing tutors, and then randomly put in a zip code for Augusta, GA and came up with this: http://www.wyzant.com/tutorsearchnew.aspx?z=30906&d=20&kw= Looks like there, $25-$45/hour is the typical range.

How exciting to be considering stepping out in a new area with your strength! BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

What the market will bear.

That will vary drastically from one state to another, and one city/town WITHIN that state to another.

Try an internet search for tutors in your area. I noticed you list GA as your location. Wyzant is a website that allows you to search for tutors by subject area, and then by zip code. I selected writing tutors, and then randomly put in a zip code for Augusta, GA and came up with this: http://www.wyzant.com/tutorsearchnew.aspx?z=30906&d=20&kw= Looks like there, $25-$45/hour is the typical range.

How exciting to be considering stepping out in a new area with your strength! BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks! I put in my zip and it looks like anywhere from $30 to $45 an hour. A lot of the folks on there are certified teachers (I am not), so I'd probably need to go a bit lower. Thanks!