Menu

Need to make AOPS test .. help

Ds (7th grade) is just finishing Chapter 3 of the pre-algebra text. I would like him test him on the material for his 1st quarterly report grade (I ❤ NY). For those of you who have BTDT, could you please give me an idea of how many questions/ what format seemed appropriate. I have been writing tests for older ds in Foerester's Algebra 1, but it has a sample test that I use as a gauge.

Thanks!

I didn't test dd on AoPS Pre-Algebra last year but I did give her a "midterm" this year for AoPS Algebra after the first seven chapters. The first five chapters build on each other with the sixth and seventh chapters being distinct. I chose six problems from the review/challenge problems for Ch 5, six for Ch 6, and six for Ch 7, making sure to choose representative problems from each.

Whe I decided to give her the exam, I deliberately saved those six Ch 6 and Ch 7 problems when she was finishing up each chapter so that they were totally new to her.

Just pick some representative problems from the end of each chapter, making sure to cover every concept that was taught. (You can simply change the numbers to create new problems, or pull some problems from previous chapters she has already see - she won't have them memorized.) Since you are not experienced with that, I would advise against a time limit; let her have enough time to complete all problems. If you find that your test was too long, break it up into two sessions.

Thanks. Also' date=' would it be better to give him a pre-test first, or just spend a day doing Alcumus for those chapters?

I feel like we are moving at a snail's pace. He takes two days for each lesson and four days on the review. He's smart but his pace is painfully slow.[/quote']

I always write a pretest so we can judge whether my kids are adequately prepared. If they are not, they need to go back and review more. We aim fro mastery in math.

If your son is slow, let him go at his pace. Rushing math does not work.

I feel like we are moving at a snail's pace. He takes two days for each lesson and four days on the review. He's smart but his pace is painfully slow.

We also move at a snail's pace. It's only the very short sections that we complete in 2 days; it usually takes longer to complete all the exercises at the end of each section. Then a few more days to finish the review and challenge problems at the end of each chapter.