Menu

Best horseback riding helmet?

My 16yo son and I need to get helmets. We've been riding for a few months, and he'll be loping soon, so it's overdue! Troxel seems to be a popular brand; any recommendations? We are Western riders, so we don't want English style helmets. The Western ones with leather look awesome, but two of those is definitely out of our price range right now.

Thanks!

Wendi

Ones with the dial or some adjustable contraption to fit it properly to your head is good. Adjustable straps around the ears is great too. They all come with adjustable chin snaps. I have a leather troxel for trail riding, but I also have a white and a blue one. When I'm working my younger horse I wear one of the others that are easier to see from my house and the kids know to look for me from time to time...just in case...

My daughter's riding instructor says that the BEST helmet is one that FITS and is WORN properly. A helmet that is too big or doesn't fit the shape of your head isn't the best. The straps also need to be adjusted so they are almost snug under the chin--not tight but loose straps make it likely the helmet will move around in a fall.

We have several Troxels here and they are nice basic helmets. I love my Tipperary one but that one was a bit more pricey.

Don't leave a helmet in a hot car and replace it if there is a fall that results in the head taking a hit.

I would say the best 'bang for your buck' helmet brand is Ovation. I worked in a tack shop for some years and had to send back an awful lot of broken troxels to the company, whether it be the harness breaking, the dial fit snapping, or the helmet simply just falling apart.

Also, go to SmartPak.com and read the customer reviews there. They can be very useful.

The best helmet is probably out of your price range. :) I've never had the really expensive ones on my head. I have to assume there's something about them that makes them worth $700-$900; but I have no idea what it is. :)

I always end up getting whatever's on sale in the $40 range.

The one I have now has the dial size adjuster, and I like it a lot!