Menu

Accelerating through OPGTR: do every lesson, combine, or skip?

alisoncooks

DD6 has been plugging away at R&S phonics and doing well, but I think we need to add some variety to our week (getting tired of the same-old workbook). I was thinking of trying OPGTR again.

So how did you speed-up parts of OPGTR?

I will be skipping the consonant and vowel teaching sections. But once it comes to the short vowel/CVC words... I think we need a little bit of practice but not *that* much.

If you accelerated through OPGTR, how did you do it? How do you let go of the mentality that *every* lesson must be completed!?

Go to the lessons that you feel she needs and do them on the white board. This can be done quickly or if she needs more practice you can spend more time. You can write words, she can write words, both, or you can use magnetic letters. I find with my daughter this makes it more fun and she can last a bit longer.

You also can do a few lessons before or in between that you know she knows just for review and to keep up her confidence.

I know what you mean about the mentality to do every lesson, but it seems that you are just supplementing or finding another angle to work on something, so you don't need to do it all. :)

With my 6 year old, we skipped ahead to the first lesson that I wasn't sure if she could do or not. I would have her read some words and maybe a sentence from each lesson. If she knew it without much hesitation, we'd go to the next lesson and repeat the process. When she clearly knew how to read whatever the rule was, we'd spend only 5 minutes or so per lesson. If she didn't know the words quickly, like gn- was a hard one for her, we slowed down for that day and did the full lesson. So, some days, we would "cover" 5-6 lessons. Other days, we'd do just one.

As for the mentality of "covering every lesson," I was confident enough listening to her read certain words that I knew it would really be a waste of time to spend a full phonics lesson on something that she knew. She would be bored and then would start being easily distracted etc. I would get frustrated getting her back on track, so it just made sense for me.

Edited by kdownie
forgot one question

I had my child just read the 'story' at the bottom of the lesson - if she could read it easily and fluently, we continued onto the next one. If she read 5 or 6 in a few minutes I would just keep going till she got stuck. She liked doing this to see how many she could 'skip' in a day.

• 2 weeks later...