Menu

Have you ever cooked a white pumpkin?

No, but please report if you do.

I accidentally served roasted pie pumpkin instead of roasted sugar pumpkin and the kids sure let me know about their displeasure.

I thought pie pumpkins WERE sugar pumpkins? Aren't you supposed to use the smaller, sweeter ones for baking? I've always heard the bigger ones weren't that great to eat. The ones we grew this year were New England Sugar Pie pumpkins.

I thought pie pumpkins WERE sugar pumpkins? Aren't you supposed to use the smaller, sweeter ones for baking? I've always heard the bigger ones weren't that great to eat. The ones we grew this year were New England Sugar Pie pumpkins.

I don't know. Last year in our csa box we got small sugar pumpkins and they were great roasted. This year we got the same little pumpkins but the farmer called them pie pumpkins. They were bitter.

Well he ended up carving the white one instead of saving it for just extra decoration, so we won't be eating that one, but the seeds in it look great. They are much bigger and thicker. I guess "meatier" would be the best way to describe them. Can't wait to roast them up.

I cooked a giant white one last year. I used it for making pumpkin butter and pumpkin casserole. I think it would have been too watery & stringy for pie.

I saw pumpkin butter mentioned somewhere else online. What exactly is it? I had never heard of it before until today.

I don't know. Last year in our csa box we got small sugar pumpkins and they were great roasted. This year we got the same little pumpkins but the farmer called them pie pumpkins. They were bitter.

Huh! It's so hard to know. I don't know where I would have been without Baker Creek's user reviews. I did really well with our garden this year thanks to them! Anyway, if you decide to grow your own, these were AMAZING and prolific and very forgiving of limited sun :D