Menu

What (starting) age is Mad Magazine geared toward?

I loved that magazine as a kid but I remember some really questionable material in it. Lots of s*x references and nothing that was so subtle that it would have gone over my head. I wouldn't recommend it for a 10 year old. Maybe a high schooler and only if you are pretty relaxed about exposure to s*x and drug references. If you'd let your kid watch an R rated movie then you'll probably be okay with letting them read Mad magazine.

ETA - If my dad had ever picked up and read a Mad Magazine then there's no way he would have ever let me have one again.

Okay I guess that is out for Christmas! LOL!

Like I said, I haven't seen it in close to 30 years, but I remember reading it in 5th - 7th grade. I know it was then because I remember reading it with friends from camping club and catholic school, both were during that time period. For 8th we moved to NJ and I don't remember seeing it ever. That was why I figured it was aimed at junior high age range.

My 11YO loves it. He laughs until he cries and wears them out.

There is some questionable "educational" material in there that is a bit old for him, but depending upon the material, we either answer his questions or just tell him it's so far past his experience he would not really want us to answer, and he's okay with that. The occasional nude graphic doesn't bother us-- he has a body, after all, so seeing one should not exactly be a shocker; I am pretty sure no new parts have been invented lately :lol:

YMMV. My kiddo is not one to get confused about what is or is not appropriate just because he reads something, and he is firmly grounded in our beliefs. We believe strongly enough that we don't feel threatened by opposing ideas. We are also not uncomfortable answering questions as they arise. I would not recommend the magazine for a kiddo in any family for whom those things are not true or who try to shelter kids-- MAD is not shelter compatible :).

If you are a pretty open family and you have a kiddo with a zany humor-- go for it; he'll love it.

Have you ever looked at a Mad Magazine? Lots of drawings of naked people, lots of s*x and drug references, lots of adult-level cultural references, lots of political articles. IMO, it is aimed at college kids and adults.

:iagree:

I wouldn't let my kids have it. I don't see it as sheltering to prevent my children having access to some materials. That is my job.

We do go to museums and don't hesitate in allowing my kid to view nude art. But I think in the context of vulgarity, which Mad is, I wouldn't allow my children to have it. I don't turn my nose up at it or anything like that, I have read my fair share of it.

Edited by Sis

My 11YO loves it. He laughs until he cries and wears them out.

There is some questionable "educational" material in there that is a bit old for him, but depending upon the material, we either answer his questions or just tell him it's so far past his experience he would not really want us to answer, and he's okay with that. The occasional nude graphic doesn't bother us-- he has a body, after all, so seeing one should not exactly be a shocker; I am pretty sure no new parts have been invented lately :lol:

YMMV. My kiddo is not one to get confused about what is or is not appropriate just because he reads something, and he is firmly grounded in our beliefs. We believe strongly enough that we don't feel threatened by opposing ideas. We are also not uncomfortable answering questions as they arise. I would not recommend the magazine for a kiddo in any family for whom those things are not true or who try to shelter kids-- MAD is not shelter compatible :).

If you are a pretty open family and you have a kiddo with a zany humor-- go for it; he'll love it.

OKay, this is us. Now I guess I need to actually go read one or two at B&N and see if it will go or if we should maybe wait a year. On one hand I'm sort of desperate to get him to read ANYTHING. One of the reasons I though he may like it is because he does get political and social issue humor and such, mainly because we discuss things like that.

Thank you!

My 10 year old has had a subscription for about a year (so 6-8 episodes - it definitely doesn't come monthly). I also recall having it at the same age. He brought me the last episode and told me it was inappropriate for him for sexual content. He's read all the rest (and loves them, but there is definitely content many wouldn't be o.k. with).

FWIW, we also are a pretty open family and he considers Mad a "political parody" magazine. He strongly considered canceling his subscription over the last episode but decided just not to read whatever offended him. Honestly, I'm o.k. with that, but I know many parents wouldn't be.

It has brought up a lot of issues that we've discussed, and not just the latest "do you keep a subscription to a magazine that offended you?" question.