Menu

All-encompassing Literature curriculum

socody

Is there such a thing as a Literature "textbook" that has comprehension guides with activities and assignments for books at grade level? What I'm thinking of is something like the Veritas Press Comprehension Guides, but altogether in one volume instead of having to buy 5-10 different guides each grade?

What age are your kids?

Galore park English has everything (lit, grammar, vocab, writing etc....)

Heart of Dakota has something. I am spacing the name, but there is a teacher manual and then 3 student books. Each should take 2 grades per book.

However, I also strongly recommend reading TWTM literature part. Read good books and discuss.

No. I own the guide for year 3 and I am thinking of using it soon. Do you have any particular questions about it?

What all does it include? Do the questions inspire deeper understanding or are they simply busy work to show that a book was read?

DS 8 is dyslexic and cannot read but we do a lot of audio books and discussion. I am looking for something to help me bring more depth to our discussions.

Do you have any experience with the philosophy for children books on the website? I am excited to see a philosophy curriculum for children.

What all does it include? Do the questions inspire deeper understanding or are they simply busy work to show that a book was read?

DS 8 is dyslexic and cannot read but we do a lot of audio books and discussion. I am looking for something to help me bring more depth to our discussions.

Do you have any experience with the philosophy for children books on the website? I am excited to see a philosophy curriculum for children.

There are several T/F questions, which are more regurgitating info. Then there are several essay questions, which I think look quite good.

Here are some examples:

For Swiss Family Robinson,

essay #1) What are the strengths and weakness of the family members stranded on the island?

#2) In what ways does the island become a school for the boys?

I don't have any experience with the philosophy for children books. I am interested as well. I am considering shifting most of our work to this program and would love to hear feedback on any of it as well.

There are several T/F questions, which are more regurgitating info. Then there are several essay questions, which I think look quite good.

Here are some examples:

For Swiss Family Robinson,

essay #1) What are the strengths and weakness of the family members stranded on the island?

#2) In what ways does the island become a school for the boys?

I don't have any experience with the philosophy for children books. I am interested as well. I am considering shifting most of our work to this program and would love to hear feedback on any of it as well.

I am ok with a limited number of T/F questions. I like essay questions but I am a bit concerned that a 3rd grader is expected to be able to write an essay. We would just do it verbally and just use the questions as a starter to discussion. My DS has severe learning disbailities so I am not the one to have a good grasp on this.