Menu

Need Help Deciding Which Book to Buy (Birds and Bees)

I have a 9yo dd who is increasingly interested in how her body will change. We're about to begin a study on the human body (that my 6yo dd requested) and I'm anticipating the questions. Plus, it's approaching the time for all of this anyway. I've read posts and I've searched online. I've narrowed it down to a number of books and would like input. I can't afford all of them and I assume they do pretty much the same thing so I don't really need all of them.

If you have any experience with them, please share. Here's the list:

-Where Do Babies Come From? by Ruth Hummel

-The Wonderful Way Babies Are Made by Larry Christenson

-Life Before Birth by Gary Parker

-Beautifully Made by Julie Hiramine (This is a little different in that it discusses body changes more than babies.)

I haven't heard of the books you listed, but I LOVED the American Girl book, The Care and Keeping of You. It doesn't talk about babymaking yet, which personally I don't think a 9 yo really needs the full details on quite yet but instead boundaries set, but it does go in lots of detail of what a girl can expect in puberty.

The one set of pages I taped off was how to use a tampon. While we were skimming the book together, I explained how a tampon worked, and asked if DD1 wanted that page available to her. She looked like she wanted to puke :lol: and asked that I tape those pages off. I told her whenever she wants them opened, I will do so.

DD1 has probably read the book 5 times over and over again! It is great in that it covers personal hygiene a LOT, and when they start getting oily and sweaty... their personal hygiene is a big deal!

I didn't go over the book in detail with her, but looked it over myself, and covered the basics with her, basically introducing the book, and let her read it on her own. American Girl has some really awesome books for girls going through puberty, including emotional stresses they may have, which is a ride in itself!

I haven't heard of the books you listed, but I LOVED the American Girl book, The Care and Keeping of You. It doesn't talk about babymaking yet, which personally I don't think a 9 yo really needs the full details on quite yet but instead boundaries set, but it does go in lots of detail of what a girl can expect in puberty.

The one set of pages I taped off was how to use a tampon. While we were skimming the book together, I explained how a tampon worked, and asked if DD1 wanted that page available to her. She looked like she wanted to puke :lol: and asked that I tape those pages off. I told her whenever she wants them opened, I will do so.

DD1 has probably read the book 5 times over and over again! It is great in that it covers personal hygiene a LOT, and when they start getting oily and sweaty... their personal hygiene is a big deal!

I didn't go over the book in detail with her, but looked it over myself, and covered the basics with her, basically introducing the book, and let her read it on her own. American Girl has some really awesome books for girls going through puberty, including emotional stresses they may have, which is a ride in itself!

:iagree: that's what we did.

:iagree:

She looked like she wanted to puke :lol: and asked that I tape those pages off. I told her whenever she wants them opened, I will do so.

This is hilarious.:rofl:

I looked at this book last year, when she was 8, and I wasn't ready to do it. I'll take a look again. At this point, she thinks the only change to her body is her breasts and she's quite excited about that. :glare: I doubt she'll be as excited about the other parts.

I am anticipating questions about babies. I've addressed it in very general terms but I want to be ready IF she does ask more detailed questions. If she doesn't, I may just hold off til she does. I would like a 2nd book that addresses that part this whole discussion.

Not familiar with the list above. We have enjoyed "It's So Amazing" and the Body Book for Boys (like the American Girl one in that is more about changes and self care but for boys.) We also have It's Perfectly Normal but he has not read it yet, we have read through it and think it is more for 10-11 and up.