Menu

Email from electric company :(

We have had a handful of storms since we moved here. Nothing too terrible, power out for a few hours. We have been very lucky.

I got an email from the electric company this morning warning everyone to take the storm seriously.

I'm sure there have been fairly big storms in my 29 years, but i've never had to prepare for anything since i always lived with my father. I remember being without power for 2 weeks when dd was a baby, around 01-03, but again i dont remember what we did.

What do i need to do to prepare? I dont have much more than a normal week's money to food shop with.

We have a few battery opperated tea candles. Dd and i have flashlight apps on the phone and ipod.

I guess it would be a good time to get all the dishes done and do some cleaning so i can walk in the dark with tripping.

Do you have a method to cook that doesn't involve electricity? Do you have access to clean water and heat? If those are covered either candles or flashlights with extra batteries would be next on the list. Have food that doesn't need to be in the fridge or freezer. If you loose power you will loose what is in your fridge and freezer if you can't eat it before it gets warm.

We always start with the disaster preparedness site from the US govt as our starting point.

Water and food are the priorities. Make sure you have enough water (@ 1 gallon per person) and food for a few days. We get jugs for drink water and fill up our bathtubs for cleaning, but I don't live in a cold climate so I'm not sure how helpful that is if it's going to freeze.

Non-perishable foods. We stock up on peanut butter, honey, and bread as well as canned fruits and dried cereals.

Cash. If there are problems with power, I think it's helpful to have cash on hand in case you need to run to the store. Larger stores may have either back-up generators or be on line first so having money is very helpful.

A few flashlights and batteries.

Make sure your gas tanks are full.

I would definitely get a hand cranked radio and cell-phone chargers that don't require plug-ins. The flashlight apps on your phone will quickly drain power.

I've been through a few of these, including being without power for more than a week at a time. Here's what I can think of:

Cash on hand - ATMs and Debit/Credit car readers at stores require electricity that may not be there.

Gas in your car - pumps are often electronic and won't work without electricity. And there will be lines of cranky people at the pumps that do work. Saw my share of arguments and fights.

Laundry - you'll want/need clean clothes to wear

Food - something you can store and eat without refrigeration or cooking. If you have a grill, make sure you have charcoal, matches, etc.

Light - candles & flashlights with PLENTY of batteries

Electronics - charge your cell phone, your iPod, your iPad. Get car chargers for whatever you can so you can recharge.

Heat - blankets.

Fireplace - plenty of wood.

Information - battery powered radio.

Water - fill the tub for washing and flushing. Fill jugs, pitchers, pots for drinking and tooth brushing

This is our list in no particular order:

-- batteries for flashlights

-- kerosene lanterns / candles

-- source of heat (that doesn't require electricity)

-- gasoline

-- water

-- easily prepared meals (to be eaten uncooked or easily heated on woodstove)

-- warm clothing

-- charge cell phones

**Are you on a well? If so, you will only be able to flush the toilet ONCE before there is no more water. (The well pump won't run without power.)

Thank you!

I have a gas stove and my heat is gas (pilot light stays on, so no worries about that). I have just over a 1/2 tank of gas in my car and no where to go the next few days. I bought 2 gallon jugs of water, and 2 cases of smaller bottles (we usually get a case a week). I dont have cash for extra flashlights, but do have a car charger for the i stuff. I would only use my app as needed, but not to keep on. Ds already goes to bed very early, so there's not too much to do after dark.

I have town water, not well, but i will leave some buckets under the gutter drain just in case we need it for flushing.

We have bread, pb, some chef boyardees, lots of gf pasta and sauce. I will try and cook from the freezer this weekend and next week (before power out).

Unfortunately cash is a problem. I only have enough cash in the bank for bills, and i have food stamps (access card). I dont get cash assistance, so none to take out.

Thank you!

I have a gas stove and my heat is gas (pilot light stays on, so no worries about that). I have just over a 1/2 tank of gas in my car and no where to go the next few days. I bought 2 gallon jugs of water, and 2 cases of smaller bottles (we usually get a case a week). I dont have cash for extra flashlights, but do have a car charger for the i stuff. I would only use my app as needed, but not to keep on. Ds already goes to bed very early, so there's not too much to do after dark.

I have town water, not well, but i will leave some buckets under the gutter drain just in case we need it for flushing.

We have bread, pb, some chef boyardees, lots of gf pasta and sauce. I will try and cook from the freezer this weekend and next week (before power out).

Unfortunately cash is a problem. I only have enough cash in the bank for bills, and i have food stamps (access card). I dont get cash assistance, so none to take out.

Try to freeze as much water as you can to keep your fridge and freezer cold as long as possible. Do you have a cooler that you can use to keep frequently accessed items in? You can keep water and meals/snacks for a few days in that and not open the fridge - that keeps it colder longer.

Do you have candles? When the power is out in the neighborhood it is VERY dark. I always felt better having a candle or two just in case.

The gas stove will be a real bonus. My SIL had a gas stove and we all bundled over to her house for meals for a week after one storm (don't worry, we all contributed food and labor!).

car chargers for the phones will help, 2 weeks worth of water and non perishable food. If you don't have a generator you'll be loosing stuff in the freezer and fridge if it's out longer than a few days. Eat up the items now. Cash on hand in small bills and coins. Games to play together and some books to read. I'd head to the library to get some new ones just in case.

**Are you on a well? If so, you will only be able to flush the toilet ONCE before there is no more water. (The well pump won't run without power.)

When we lost power for a few days about 5 years ago, we ended up hauling water to flush our toilets from our pool and sharing the water with our neighbors.:D (Lightening took out our power transformer)

Try to freeze as much water as you can to keep your fridge and freezer cold as long as possible.

Or dry ice which keeps things colder even longer.

I have just over a 1/2 tank of gas in my car and no where to go the next few days.

It sounds like you'll be okay. If you can, I would go ahead and fill up the car. Having lived through gasoline shortages, a full tank is very reassuring if things get rough.

We got one too.

Fill and freeze empty milk jugs to keep fridge and freezer cold.

Top off all charges on electricals. We have a rechargeable battery thing we use for camping that I am charging up so we can keep the phones going, no land line.

Flashlights, candles, food we can heat on the gas stove.

Gas up the cars.

Make extra coffee to heat up on the stove.

Woodstove wood brought in and ready to go.

Clean out gutters.

It sounds like you'll be okay. If you can, I would go ahead and fill up the car. Having lived through gasoline shortages, a full tank is very reassuring if things get rough.

I would too, honestly. If you have to evacuate for whatever reason that full tank will be very valuable.

Can try filling hefty gallon freezer bags with water (with some room for expansion) They fit in freezer more compactly than bottles, and help keep the refrigerator cold. When they thaw they are another source of clean water.

Put frozen meat you may want to grill outside/or cook on your gas stove in fridge to thaw and use first, (also so you dont have to leave door open while digging around looking for it.) Helps keep fridge cooler, too, while its still frozen.

We also do what someone else suggested: use our ice chests for items we want to keep chilled but might use when power is off (like milk for instant coffee/cereal :) This way no one opens the fridge as long as possible to conserve its temperature.

I actually used to look forward to hurricanes as a kid... the idea of no school for days! Its sooooo different looking at it as a parent and having to worry :(

Here is our Frankenstorm prep list:

Clear gutters and storm drains.

Bring in small things from outdoors. Move larger things (grill, etc.) to covered and protected patio.

Buy batteries and bottled water.

Freeze water in 1-gallon ziploc bags.

Eat up our fresh meat and frozen food.

Keep electronics charged, car fueled, wallets full.

Battery powered radio.

A few days of shelf-stable food, after which we will buy fresh food a couple days at a time and keep it in our cooler.

With the derecho last summer, the killer was the intense heat. I may be a Pollyanna here, but I really think we'll be fine if it isn't 100 degrees every day. We have a gas fireplace in the playroom for heat if necessary. And we'll try to eat down our supply of spoilable food so it won't be tragic if we can't get ice.