Menu

WDYT of my 1st grade plan?

Momof2littles

Is this too much? I still have no idea what I'm doing...haha!

***First grade***

Sonlight core A (only adding catechism to bible portion)

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

All About Spelling 1

Reader Schedule based on reading level

Singapore Math (continuing with where she is at the time)

Sonlight Science A

Artistic Pursuits 1

Would it be too much to add in a 3 day/week state study? (ETA I meant study our state!)

Am I missing anything?

Suggestions?

Advice?

Edited by Momof2littles

I'm not personally familiar with Sonlight but it sounds good to me. You have your language arts covered and some math. Some science and some art. A plan for read alouds. Learning the states would be fine. I try to get my kids learning them early. Maybe plan on some continuing phonics instruction or handwriting practice.

Sea To Shining Sea is a good read aloud book for state study. Scrambled States of America is a good book. I wouldn't force it but, hang a large map, read some books, get a state puzzle, play some games, color a blank map, use a state place mat. If you just make it a playful part of life, then they'll learn the states and it wouldn't add too much to your day. I would just focus on learning the map (geography) and names at this age. I wouldn't necessarily go into history or capitals or anything yet.

Looks good to me. Are you also using the Sonlight language arts? With what you have, I'd skip that portion of SL.

If your child likes activities for history, you might pick up the SOTW Activity Guide to give you some ideas.

Personally, I'd skip the state study and just incorporate it into next year, when you will probably cover them coming into the union. One fun thing we did in first and K was to hang up a map of the US and just color in the states where relatives lived. We also got some postcards and hung those up. There are lots of folks who enjoy postcard exchanges, and it's a fun way to get some mail while learning! Also, we liked to cook--we had (but didn't use) Cooking Up US History. It has kid recipes for regional areas of the US, along with historical recipes.

Sounds good to me. I would start everything and see if your dc could handle a state study, but I would think it would be very doable. If your dc isn't a huge writer you might want to cut back a little on WWE when you are doing the writing with AAS. I know I was doing WWE and AAS with my ds for 1st and it was a lot of writing for him, so I would just adjust it a little.

I'm not personally familiar with Sonlight but it sounds good to me. You have your language arts covered and some math. Some science and some art. A plan for read alouds. Learning the states would be fine. I try to get my kids learning them early. Maybe plan on some continuing phonics instruction or handwriting practice.

Sea To Shining Sea is a good read aloud book for state study. Scrambled States of America is a good book. I wouldn't force it but, hang a large map, read some books, get a state puzzle, play some games, color a blank map, use a state place mat. If you just make it a playful part of life, then they'll learn the states and it wouldn't add too much to your day. I would just focus on learning the map (geography) and names at this age. I wouldn't necessarily go into history or capitals or anything yet.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking the copy work would be enough for handwriting until we start learning cursive in 2nd or 3rd? I like the idea of the state placemat though!!

My thinking was that since we will be covering cultures, I'd like for her to understand where she lives in relation to the cultures/countries we will be studying.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Is this too much? I still have no idea what I'm doing...haha!

***First grade***

Sonlight core A (only adding catechism to bible portion)

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

All About Spelling 1

Reader Schedule based on reading level

Singapore Math (continuing with where she is at the time)

Sonlight Science A

Artistic Pursuits 1

Would it be too much to add in a 3 day/week state study? (ETA I meant study our state!)

Am I missing anything?

Suggestions?

Advice?

I think it looks *very* full. Way more than we do for 1st (this year). But I'll admit to being a "less-than-rigorous" homeschooler... :tongue_smilie:

Depending on how well your child is reading... will you be doing any formal phonics program (is that in Sonlight or included in the readers schedule??)

If your child isn't a fluent/strong reader, I would delay FLL and WWE until, maybe, the 2nd semester of 1st grade. I know my 1st grader, this year, could *not* of handled WWE right off the bat. Too much writing for her (very writing resistant).

If I had that line up and wanted to do a state study, I would consider just doing it 1x a week (ie. "our state Fridays" or something).

I think it looks *very* full. Way more than we do for 1st (this year). But I'll admit to being a "less-than-rigorous" homeschooler... :tongue_smilie:

Depending on how well your child is reading... will you be doing any formal phonics program (is that in Sonlight or included in the readers schedule??)

If your child isn't a fluent/strong reader, I would delay FLL and WWE until, maybe, the 2nd semester of 1st grade. I know my 1st grader, this year, could *not* of handled WWE right off the bat. Too much writing for her (very writing resistant).

If I had that line up and wanted to do a state study, I would consider just doing it 1x a week (ie. "our state Fridays" or something).

I'm hoping it isn't too much. I don't want it tone too much or not put in enough...ha! I'm hardly rigorous but I want her to be challenged.

She's reading close to a 1st grade level now, and I probably won't start official first grade curriculum until the fall...so she will be reading well by then...I'm guessing 2nd grade level. I'm not interested in any more phonics for reading instruction...just working on reading/comprehension strategies (I am certified teacher, taught elementary reading so I'm confident in the reading area...other areas not so much).

The our state friday is a great idea!! Thanks!