Menu

4-H or Cub scouts???

I think you might be slightly misinformed about the Boy Scouts. It does not accept Christians only. There is a caveat in the code that requires them to profess a belief in a god and be 'morally straight', which the BSA has defined with conventional Christian values.

Oh. So you don't "have" to be Christian but Christian values are the best representation of "morally straight?" Alright.

But no. That's not diversity.

Oh. So you don't "have" to be Christian but Christian values are the best representation of "morally straight?" Alright.

But no. That's not diversity.

To be honest, your representation of 4H values leave something to be desired. I've never seen a more unwillingness to look at something objectively as has been demonstrated here.

Wow, I've been involved in Cub Scouts for over 16 years and am currently a Webelos leader. I can't believe all the misconceptions about Cub/Boy Scouts!

First of all, Cub Scouting is NOT a Christian organization. It only requires a belief in a "Higher Power" and we've had Wiccans, Muslims, and Jews in our groups. Second, it is not always "one age, one gender" as another poster said. Our Pack has all boys ages 6-11 meet together every week for a game, opening, and closing. In the middle, boys meet around the room with other boys their age for their den activities. Field trips and camping is open to all family members, so sisters and mothers are often involved as well as boys of all ages. Boy Scouts involves boys aged 11-18 and Venturing is a co-ed program for boys and girls aged 14-21. Third, while I'm very distressed about the abuse situation, BSA is now thought to have one of the better youth protection guidelines among youth organizations. Abuse happens in school for goodness sakes. A few creeps always manage to find a way.:glare: Fourth, boys in Scouts, especially Boy Scouts, have the opportunity to learn about all kinds of interests while working on merit badges. Merit badge counselors are often professionals or serious hobbyists in the field that they teach. I personally know nurses, Civil War reenactors, engineers, architects, musicians, artists, experienced outdoorsman, ski patrol members, model rocket hobbyists, and computer programmers who teach merit badges in their area of expertise.

BTW, I think both programs are great and you should pick the one which fits your family's time and personality.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses. I guess we have our work cut out for us on investigating. I have already called both and am waiting for 4H to call back and plan on nattending a cub scout meeting on Monday. I also called girl scouts and am waiting for a call back. Thanks to all of you I now have a good list of questions to ask of each :) You have been most helpful.